6 years after discovering /r/bwf

@godsu Holy fuck! You look incredible. Congrats!

Just yesterday a started a book where the author said you can't do much with bodyweight only. I think I'm gonna stop reading that.

@respectfulnonbeliever Climbing has changed my life. I've been into bwf on and off since highschool, but never progressed any skills very far. After finding climbing though, I have so much more passion about fitness and bwf! It's so dang fun and keeps me coming back. I wish for everyone to find the activity they just can't stay away from that has the added benefit of getting you in ridiculously good shape.

@godsu Have you found any decline in your bouldering since gaining all the weight? Or is kind of a 50/50 because you’re also getting stronger at the same time.

@godsu Ah got ya! I’m always to see how that relationship would workout. My favorite is seeing gym bros come in & flail on V0s & 5.6s to impress their friends.

Climbing is probably the most humbling activity I partake in.

@purple5 No doubt. Even once you get basic technique down, it then becomes a battle to not use your strength to get up the wall. Honestly, taking 8 months off after surgery probably helped my technique in the long run. Working on my first (indoor) v7's now

@godsu Your lats are sick. How do you go about training them? I believe my lats are lazy and are keeping me from doing serious pulling work, so I’ve been focusing on them for a week or two.

I do pull-ups, Australian pull-ups, chin-ups, commando pull-ups, tucked front levers, cable exercises and whatnot. And I always focus on making the lats do the work. It seems to be having some effect, but my lats just don’t really feel sore after a training.

I guess I just have to keep on doing this until my body really learns to use the lats well.

@sister_diane Lats have got to be from pullups (standard and wide grip) initially, and have also probably benefited from bouldering now. I have one of those doorframe pullup bars with 3 different grips (wide narrow and neutral), and the wider grips are what I've done most of my pullups on.

I put a lot of focus on my form, making sure to use proper scapular activation through the entire movement, chest to bar at the top, and smooth and controlled down. At the bottom, my scapula stays mostly activated but my arms straighten completely. When I rest while hanging, I slowly relax my shoulders down, and before initiating the next rep I make sure to fully activate my back again before pulling

(For you too, @shaima)

@godsu Yeah, thanks. That is basically what I do right now, so I’ll just keep on doing it. Only difference is I usually go to a full dead hang at the bottom, to really train my scapular activation. I tried to keep them active last workout but I felt like I didn’t really straighten my arms. Gonna work on that.

@godsu Yeah, when I watch calisthenics videos I sometimes have a hard time making out what people do with their shoulders. However, I feel like my scapulae have a larger mobility than some and the transition between passive and active is really significant.