A List of Bodyweight Isometrics by Body Part

@raykay The amount of time and effort put into this is amazing, thank you for it. I'll make sure to save this and reference when need be, I truly appreciate the content.

If anyone is interested in further reading, a book I'd absolutely recommend is the Ultimate Isometrics Manual from Dragondoor. It's marketed as being a companion to the Isochain (which is actually an AMAZING product I have used with great success) but all of their information can be used and applied to isometric training in general.

They even have entire sections dedicated to equipment-free and bodyweight isometrics, and much of the information from this post was drawn from that book.

@raykay It always amazes me how some folks like yourself put out such quality posts, purely out of benefitting others in their journey.
I feel this is one of the nicer and useful subreddits and you're just proving that to be true.
Excellent work!

@raykay Can isometrics be programmed on "off days?" E.g. do the recommended routine(RR) on Day 1, isometrics Day 2, RR Day 3, isometrics Day 4 etc? Or will the isometrics interfere is they are using the same muscles as the training day? I mean, if you do pushups one day, and then isometric pushups the next day, is that too much interference?

Any other programming suggestions? I mean, if we are doing the recommended routine, how to add isometrics that often will duplicate the muscles targeted in the RR?

@dawn16 An isometric would be a bit easier to recover from than the equivalent dynamic set. A lot depends on the complexity of the exercise and how many muscle groups are involved. Intensity also matters, max strength sets are most fatiguing whereas muscular endurance would be the least.

That being said, you'd still need to factor it into your weekly training volume. You could benefit from doing only a few targetted sets a week, so on off days you may want to pick one or two weakpoints you wish to improve on. You'd want to imitate the positions you're struggling with to maximize carryover.

If you are already doing a full routine, start cautiously with this limited selection of isometric exercises and see what you can handle. Soreness is often minor, but you can still gain CNS fatigue.

Tl;dr Pick a few exercises that are specific to your goals, don't overdo it.

@raykay Hey! I know this post is a year old but I just found it today and wanted to say thanks!

Also interested to hear is you’re still as committed to isometrics a year later? I’m about 90 days into my journey and completely loving it as I can go as hard and long as I want without much of any risk of injury.

@umbreon0 Glad you gained something from this post!

It depends on my programming and schedule, although I usually try to squeeze in at least a little bit of isometrics if I can.

Currently, I am doing high-intensity isometrics with the Isochain about 2-3x a week since it saves time and I'm training for some endurance events in the summer. It helps me maintain maximal strength without a ton of muscle damage and soreness that would mess with my other training.

Realistically, it's the only way I'd be able to keep up my strength with all the volume from the endurance work. So far it's going well, I'm not very banged up from my workouts.

@raykay That’s what I’m doing!! I’m trying to get in shape for a 50 miler (trail run) and I’m stacking on the miles. But the rest of me was falling apart.

But a few months ago I really felt like my core was lacking so I just started planking variations and wall sits and stuff. It was actually Wim Hof’s book and method of incorporating horse stance and planks and stuff that got me going on isometrics.

I’ve ad hoc built a routine all around isometrics and I’m loving it. I ran a race last week and I really felt the difference a strong core makes after a few hours of running.

So now I’m building a plan to take me the next 6 months. :)

Anyway - thanks again. This is really helpful.