A question for runners with thick thighs

@timothysir Mine all ride up, regardless of my weight or shorts size. It's just the shape of my thighs. I have some 7 or 9 inch compression shorts and they basically become a thong when I run lol

@canadarose [sup]This.[/sup]

I wear Capri length active wear yoga with pockets for all my runs. My phone and keys fit in the pocket, and with a snug pair, they don't go anywhere and I have no chafing.

@canadarose Anything tight and/or short is going to ride up. Have you tried looser fits like basketball shorts? If you're looking for compression for running, I think leggings/capris would be better; you could always wear shorts over.

@pennypule Are they tight around the butt when you run? Booty eats clothes lol. I have to wear thongs when I do intense cardio because stuff like boyshorts always get displaced. The only shorts that don't ride up for me are baggy and have a built in underwear thing.

Come to think of it, I think it's the under layer that probably prevents the rest of the shorts from riding up.

@timothysir I have mid thigh/a couple of inches above the knee compression shorts from puma that actually have little rubber grips inside that keep them from riding up! I have other longer compression shorts that also work fine from under armour, but the puma ones are thinner (cooler!), never ride up, and the rubber grips are surprisingly comfortable.

@selah7grace Do you have an idea what the puma compression shorts are called? I’m currently looking for a pair for under my shorts that won’t ride up because every pair I seem to have ride up and I constantly have to pull them down! Haha

@trueshopaholic The only thing I can find online is that it was called the Puma ACTV technology with silicone micro things on the inside. It looks like they don't really make them anymore, but you might be able to find more than I did. My shorts say Puma Power Plus around the band and say Style No 510701

@timothysir I'm a big legged lady too and I've found the lululemon Tracker short (4" inseam) to not ride up, although the brief liner does ride up (I've thought about cutting out the brief liner but haven't done it yet). Look for a longer inseam and a looser fit through the hip, they are out there but you have to search.

@altarcall I’ll definitely look into it, but since I’m running as a weight loss tool, I don’t know if I want to pay lululemon prices just yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

@altarcall I will second these tracker shorts! They are the first shorts I’ve ever enjoyed running in because they don’t ride up. I bought them in two different sizes and ended up keeping both. The liner doesn’t bug me. Unsure if the “V” matters, but mine are the Tracker Short V.

Another option are tight compression shorts (look like bike shorts). I bought some black generic ones off Amazon a few years ago for a marathon and ended up loving them - they come to mid thigh and all the reviews said they wouldn’t rise up - and they didn’t.

Good luck!

@daseyui Do you know how their sizing runs? I think I’m a 16 now in regular pants, and I’m not sure i have a store near me that carries brooks clothing (only shoes).

@timothysir I am not sure. I would echo what @alexpan said, that they are tighter around the rear and hips. You might be able to find size reviews online? The pair I just bought have a more elastic waistband and the sides are slit like traditional running shorts so my thighs have a little room to expand without “popping out” like they do with shorter shorts. I wear an L in Nike’s shorts (from a few years ago) and they have a looser seat area but are too short and ride up during long runs. Good luck!!!

@daseyui And, if the Brooks Chasers dont fit your body (didnt fit my big hips/butt well at all), the Oiselle Long Rogas have been amazing for me. Have hiked 700 miles of the PCT with them so far. They ride up slightly on me (never found shorts that don't) but they dont ride all the way up like most do and the weight is enough to pull them back down so I'm not picking shorts wedgies all the time.

Back