already dreading tommorow's cringe 9/11 tribute

@marieb3 What wouldn’t be said?? Do you think surviving fireman have a problem with a coach using the intensity and seriousness of that day as motivation to push an athletes limits?… you’ve lost it bud

@ds3618 I think a survivor would have a problem with their death of a spouse reduced to a cheap gimmick in a crossfit wod. but that's only my opinion.

@marieb3 A spouse isn’t a survivor… and apparently you’ve lost or never had what the meaning of a hero workout is, and why it’s special and why your effort should be special

@ds3618 Calm down Rambo, they’re not saying they shouldn’t work hard or give a good effort, she’s saying it’s cringe as fuck for a coach to yell at you trying to equate your effort in a workout to a person in a life or death situation. The point is to honor the fallen, that doesn’t mean you have to go unbroken or try to lift a weight you physically can’t or not take a break. It’s supposed to be a time to reflect on those we’ve lost. If I died, the last thing I would want is some soccer mom or someone’s grandma to get hurt because some CL-1 thinks they’re motivating them by yelling about how I never would’ve given up and they’re disgracing me by taking a few seconds to breathe.

And if you better believe if I could witness someone yelling at my wife I’d dedicate my entire afterlife to haunting that person by making their pockets get caught on door handles and waking them up at 0341 every morning for the rest of their life.

@ds3618 alright, please find a living spouse of a firefighter or someone who died in 9/11. while there working out yell in there face "the firefighters didn't give up on 9/11, why are you". once you have done that, than you can talk

@ds3618 You would no shit say:

>"do you think taking a break was an option for those who died on 9/11"

to a 9/11 widow?

Sir, you are going to get punched in the face someday, and you will 100% deserve it.

Gone from “I don’t like when a coach pushes me during a special workout” to accusing me of willing to yell at a window about her dead husband while working out

@marieb3 On the flipside, my first Murph I ran a 7:30 mile for the first and only time in my life. As a guy who struggled to get under 10 and then 9, the bullshit patriotism had an upside.

@marieb3 I can understand CrossFit boxes in New York doing WODs to remember that but to say these things by the coaches? That's just stupid.

And why would other boxes around the world do such WODs ? Would they do the same for the millions of Iraqis and Afghanistani people who died and suffered as a result of American occupation and war crimes in the 9/11 name?

@ds3618 I was a D1 athlete in college. Then I joined the military and served 8 years. Now I’ve owned a CrossFit box for almost a decade, including qualifying for the quarterfinals the past 3 years.

I don’t know what you consider “doing something physical”, but I’m willing to bet that at least once in all those experiences above, I did something that would’ve met your standards. So stop with the fucking gate-keeping.

This behavior of coaches was disgusting. It’s one thing to memorialize someone, that’s fine. It’s another thing to treat their death as a cheap gimmick. That coaching crossed the line.

@kezi
This behavior of coaches was disgusting. It’s one thing to memorialize someone, that’s fine. It’s another thing to treat their death as a cheap gimmick. That coaching crossed the line.

I mean you're taking the word of an unhinged poster as fact to make such a serious accusation.

Quite the leap of faith.

@kezi So you’re telling me as a d1 athlete and 8 year military vet, you think it is inappropriate for coaches and athletes to use the intensity and seriousness of real world events as motivation to push themselves?… I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed being your teammate

Back