already dreading tommorow's cringe 9/11 tribute

@forgivenkali Which part specifcally?

I know 9/11 tribute wod's are common in crossfit?

or are you referencing the things our coaches yell to athletes who are struggling to finish the workout.

@marieb3 I own a gym. We do hero wods regularly, and will do a 9/11 tomorrow. I also served in the military.

Let me just say that what your coaches did in last year’s 9/11 workout is disgusting and disrespectful. I don’t blame you for being upset. I hope you said something to the owner.

During the daily pre-workout chat, we discuss the workout, good strategies, scaling options, etc. When it’s a hero wod, we will read a 1-paragraph bio of the person being memorialized, and say something like “so keep them in mind today”. And that’s it. No using them for cheap gimmicky motivation mid-wod. I find that unacceptable.

@kezi well said. I don't mind the 9/11 tribute by itself. but the "these firefighters didn't give up, why are you" and the "this exhaustion and windless is nothing compared to the smoke and dust the 9/11 victims inhaled" is just insulting.

@marieb3 You’re making up things that never actually happened. Get out of your head and go talk to people in real life instead of making up fake scenarios.

@marieb3 So tell the owner that its not cool. Nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem again this year. Or go to the coach and tell them to fuck off with their bullshit. Stand up for yourself, you pay money to be there but not to be shouted at like that.

@marieb3 I'd respectfully tell the coaches to STFU. Have your hero/memorial wod, but don't make it about anything other than the members who are working out. If some of the coaches were going on about some of the things you were mentioning, I'd find a new gym.

@kelly3012 Totally agree. I don’t really jive on hero wods anymore. I don’t pay a ton of money for a gym membership to be told what or how to feel.

Also, I am a little advanced in age and I find that it is unnecessarily taxing on me at the expense of quality training for the balance of the week.

@marieb3 Oof, that's gross. I've only ever heard a comment like that once during Murph, and it came from a member not a coach. Even then, it was more encouraging like a "don't give up" kind of phrasing, not as negative. It still bothered me for the reasons you mentioned but that sounds like a culture issue if it's coming from coaches routinely during hero WODs. I'd skip em if I were you or find a different box.

@marieb3 I have never heard of a coach doing this. We did do 9/11 Wods but no one acted weird.

I just remember it being awkward because one year I got chalk in my eye and it looked like I was crying :/

@marieb3 So, I haven't done crossfit in a few years but did start back in 2013 and did crossfit for almost 7 years. I will say the cringyness of hero and memorial WODs definitely decreased through the years. Originally they were and boxes were super cringy on "honoring" whatever the workout was. I think over time most boxes had some self realization and toned it down a lot.

That being said, like everyone else has pointed out, this sounds fake, but honestly it's in line with circa-2013 crossfit.

@marieb3 This is super cringe, but in some ways this was inevitable that some CrossFit gyms arrived at this spot. They very idea of hero wods is silly at best: "let's all honor someone by getting together and doing something we were going to do anyway"

This is where the huge overlap between CrossFit and evangelical Christians rears it's head: performative virtue signaling that only accomplishes making people feel better about themselves by letting them think they did something

Back