Are clothes getting bigger or is it just me? 5'2,160lbs, size 8, and fitting smalls???

@dmhanson511 I still feel like size 8 and medium is small for someone our size. Granted i carry most of mine in my chest, but i was a size 12 and a large 20 years ago. I can fit a small in some brands.

@yakob123 Getting bigger for sure… I used to fit size XS. Now I put on size XS skirt and it drops off my waist. I just shop in the juniors’ section now.

@yakob123 5'1, 110lbs, and haven't shopped retail in a few years because nothing ever really fits. And shopping in the kids section isn't an option for me because I'm curvy and wear a 28G. It's problematic!

@yakob123 Vanity sizing has taken over. I've always been a size medium with nearly the same measurements and weight for the last 10 years.

Why am I able to wear XS/S? I would have been squeezed to death if I tried to fit in any of that before.
I remember buying shirts 5+ years ago and had to return twice to downsize.

If XS was baggy on me then what are actual XS's wearing that doesn't look like you are swimming in it? 🤦‍♀️

@yakob123 I'm a completely different size in different brands and even within the same brand I can be different sizes in different tops/dresses. Women's sizing now is just a trainwreck, all over the place. I can be anything from an XS to a M. Even a L in bathing suits.

@yakob123 I was just saying this the other day!! I’m 5’3 and 125 with some meat on my behind and thighs. Size 2’s from Anthropologie were FALLING off me; I’m fitting into XS tops and dresses from Abercrombie and I’m a 36 C. Is the clothing industry gaslighting us??? 😂😂😂

@yakob123 Vanity sizing is rampant these days.

I am around 50-60lbs heavier than my non-binge eating days. I wore an XS/S back then at the same height. I’m still an S now in some brands. Some brands don't do vanity sizing as much. So I have clothes in many different sizes. That's why I don't care about the size label anymore. It doesn't mean anything.

@yakob123 I’m 5’1 and fit into 000 and XXS lol. I don’t understand. I’m around 106 lbs. Idk how women my height who are actually skinny wear clothes at all.

@yakob123 Ahhh I wish haha. I’m not “large” by any means, but I don’t carry weight the way a lot of women on this sub do. And for suuuuure do not look like the women who fit into 000 and XXS in like 2005. My friend is the same height and closer to 86ish lbs and she DOES look like that! I’m assuming my body type or even fat % is such that I’d have to be closer to her weight to really consider myself skinny in that “classic” (for lack of a better word - think Hollywood) way.

Plus, BMI was not made with very short or very tall people in mind. Not sure how that really affects someone my height but I really don’t think I look close to underweight tbh and it’s only 9 lbs away according to BMI.

@yakob123 ok i just thought it was me. its frustrating, but i feel like if i say anything ppl will think im a pick-me or like "oohhh look how skinny i am life is so hard". id rather have clothes be too big than too small, like its kind of a nonissue to me but its still annoying having even an xxs be too big. maybe this is insensitive, but i def think its brands trying to make bigger women feel better about themselves for being able to fit into a "smaller size" (when its not even smaller they're just labeling it that way) so ppl won't get their feelings hurt by a literal label. its sad and angering. if fitting into a smaller size is really that important to you then you have should have to change (if you're unhealthily overweight, that is), not the numbers brands slap onto it.

i suggest any skinny woman invest in a sewing machine or at least learn how to hand sew. i have a pile of clothing waiting to be altered bc i can't stand clothing being too big on my waist anymore.

Back