Are clothes getting bigger or is it just me? 5'2,160lbs, size 8, and fitting smalls???

@yakob123 Not OP but I am a similar size (same height a few lbs less). I don’t buy a small unless I want an oversized fit. Many brands xs or even xxs are too large for fitted styles. I used to be a size 7/8/9 at the same weight as a teen.

@yakob123 They are DEFINITELY larger. I’m 5’1” and 140 and wearing 6/8 jeans and smalls.

The last time I weighed this little it was 1993 and I was in ninth grade and was wearing a 9/10 and a L (and thought I was enormous lol sigh)

@yakob123 Had the same experience! Last time I went to H&M, I tried on some jeans in 36 (US 6) and they were wayyy too huge. Tried on 34 (US 4), same results. The 32 (US 2), which I also never had really seen in H&M, were a good fit. Tried on some other pants that only went to US 4 and they didn‘t fit.

@yakob123 I feel like a lot of brands sizes have gotten bigger. I used to wear a medium and lost 60 pounds. I bought some XS shirts and they look and fit like my old mediums. I've come across this with pants as well. I'm 5'3" and weight between 118-122 and it's honestly so difficult finding clothes that fit well that aren't leggings and gym clothes.

@yakob123 Yeah 5’1” and 110-115lbs and I’m a size 00 and 000 and sometimes nothing is small enough to fit me at regular stores and I’m well within a normal weight.

@yakob123 I know one thing, pants are getting longer! 😑

I ordered some athletic jacket/pullovers off Amazon and had to return them because I ordered smalls and they were SMALL!
95% of the time wear small when I buy out of stores, but these items must have been Asian owned brands in Asian sizes because they were more like xsmall or xx small, and i dont mean they were just tight, but short torso areas, and I have a short torso, so I think manufacturing might have something to do with it.

@yakob123 I feel like they're definitely getting bigger (at least in the US). The last time I went to visit my family back in the US I was my heaviest, around 200lbs at 5'1. I could fit into mediums, compared to living abroad I was fitting XL.

That was in PJs and athletic clothes, I didn't try any stiff denim or anything but still, here I was an XL in those types of clothes and in the US they were so big they were sliding off lol

@yakob123 Some other people commented that the cheaper the clothes the bigger the sizes are, I only bought stuff at Walmart so that might be why lol!

@yakob123 I am 5'4" and 113 lbs. It's impossible for me to shop at most places because even XS is too big. Target carries XXS, but it's junior-looking clothes, and I'm 30 with two kids. I don't want to look like a teenager haha. So I have to shop at places that carry XXS or 00-0. It's so frustrating. Most places don't carry my size.

@yakob123 Ive always been a 2 or 26 in jeans but at multiple stores I’m now a 0 or 25. I bought two pairs of jeans (same style): at Abercrombie I got size 25 and from Levi’s I got size 26 and they fit the same. I thought these were supposed to be the actual measurements??

@yakob123 I think there’s such a wide variety of shapes it’s hard to say. 160 on you might actually be quite lean and slender. 160 on me is like Danny DeVito. I don’t hold weight well at all.

I was squeezing into size small leggings at 148 but the difference now at 120 is crazy. They are legit baggy so I usually go with size XS.

@yakob123 Clothes are definitely getting bigger! Vanity sizing is definitely happening. I am 5’3” and weigh 150. I wear a 2 across the board in pants in all brands I’ve tried. But I have older clothes that are a size 6 that fit. I am by no means small and no one would think my pants are size 2, I’m still curvy. I have a large bust so I can wear everything from a small to a large in tops but most of the time mediums fit me better. There are so many women that are so much smaller than me and I wonder how they buy clothes without shopping in the junior sections. It’s a concern for me that clothes have really gotten bigger as I still want to lose some more weight, but hopefully more around my upper body 🤞🏻. I noticed in Europe that the sizes were so much better there than in the US.

@yakob123 In high school you were probably wearing clothing that was in junior sizing. A lot of clothing has stretch nowadays, too so more flexibility in which size will fit. If your band size is 32 then you sound small. I was a size 2 and still wore a 34 band.

Back