Barbell Spin predicts Mal O’Brien to go Hyrox

dannyabc

Thoughts? Seems Hyrox has exploded lately. Mal and Hunter could put a big shift in training and competitors.

@photographer Chris Hinshaw recently did a podcast with Hyrox folks and basically said he'd love Jeff Adler to compete in one but the amount of running needed to be competitive would probably put a huge damper in CrossFit competition.

@photographer She isnt a good enough runner for hyrox. And training to be a hyrox person would require way too much running for her to focus on CF to be good enough to win still.

@photographer Politics. For the same reason you don’t see CF Games athletes competing in IFF events or Grid League. CrossFit made it very clear to the top level peeps that if they participate in those “competing” leagues, they would not receive any kind of promotion from CFHQ.

@alaric
CrossFit made it very clear to the top level peeps that if they participate in those “competing” leagues, they would not receive any kind of promotion from CFHQ.

Where? Athletes have competed in both....

CFHQ even sent an invite to Hunter to go to the Games in 2019 (I think. Maybe 2018).

@sadkitty Dave Castro told athletes they would be banned from competing at the CF games if they participated in GRID in about 2015 when GRID was taking off. that's why Mat and Annie stopped doing it, and it fell apart. Pretty sure Mat said this on a podcast - maybe brute strength or JRE?

The invite was because they had a handful of invites to give to whomever they wanted to, and Hunter had a good marketing platform and had a few folks in the space who were pinging HQ to give him an invite.

@bigred009 Ricky Garard did one recently (and was on the podium, there was a post here somewhere). James Newbury has done one. Sam Briggs as well.

Not sure who else, off the top of my head, but there are others.

@sadkitty are you talking about grid or hyrox? because I was talking about grid, and james and sam are retired and ricky already is a "black sheep" and just kind of does what he wants. if it's hryox then yeah. sam would be a baddie at that.

@bigred009 Hyrox. I don't know enough or care about GRID. The original post was about hyrox, and Op of this thread said "politics" as if it's a fact. I was wondering where that fact came from, because I haven't seen it anywhere and well known athletes have done it.

Ricky is still a Games athlete, and a favourite for the podium. Briggs is a name, and competed in the AG. Newbury is going team this year. So everyone is still competing in CrossFit, not shunned because of politics.

Maybe it's true with grid, I have no clue. But it's definitely not true with Hyrox.

@sadkitty i read it as they were speaking to the politics at HQ preventing athletes from doing GRID as an example of why not many may do hyrox. and I know for a fact that CF games athletes were told to not compete in GRID. no idea about hyrox- you're absolutely right recent athletes have been competing. wouldn't guess they did that for hyrox since it's not a direct competitor and the cross-promotion benefits HQ.

@christina198585 I think a lot of newbies like how accessible hyrox is. CF can be intimidating with barbels and some of the movements like rope climbs/hand stands etc. Hyrox gives a slightly similar type of workout with a lot less to worry about. Hopefully some of these people will transition across once they get more confident or bored of hyrox.

Back