Bodyweight Skill Tree

@hannah97 This is what I love about this subreddit, it is so high quality, full of quality users willing to help each other, post good content and even make it free.

@hannah97

Some Suggestions and Observations​

1. You skip over one sometimes two progressions, e.g. Tuck, Adv Tuck, Single Leg, Straddle, Full progressions of some exercises or strength elements.
  2. Adding weight e.g. Ankle Weight would be a progression past a Full variation of an exercises before the One Arm (OA) progression. For Example, the ankle-weighted Dragon Flag is before the One Arm Dragon Flag. Not all exercises would have an Ankle-Weighted or One Arm progression, however.
  3. This is hard to read due to the visual spaghetti

OLD: Crunches >> Dragon-Flag >> Dragon Press >> OA Dragon Press

NEW: Crunches >> Interim Exercise >> Dragon Flag >> Ankle-Weighted Dragon Flag >> OA Dragon Flag >> Dragon Press >> Ankle-Weighted Dragon Press >> OA Dragon Press

OLD: Tuck FL Row >> Front Lever >> OA Front Lever >> OA Front Lever Pull-up

NEW: This is mixing a bent-arm, straight-arm static hold, and a straight-arm movement that may not be possible, and then a bent-arm exercise which may not be possible.. I don't understand that ... seems to be haphazard, no?

OLD: Planche progressions ...

NEW: The Planche progressions are like the Front Lever, somewhat haphazard. And what this one arm Planche ... has that ever been done on planet earth? You better add one arm Iron Cross then .... (joking).

TL/DR: Wouldn't have been easier and more consistent to take the OG2 exercise charts and just make a visual or do every other progression in a tree branch to represent this ... ??

EDIT: typo

@bibbigo
And what this one arm Planche ... has that every been done on planet earch?

Yes, one arm planche has been done before and is not uncommon in high level street workout and handbalancing. I used to be able to do one on my right arm. Only that a true one with a straight arm is very rare in the world.

@giangnt
Yes, one arm planche has been done before and is not uncommon in high level street workout and handbalancing.

Very cool, I was unaware of that and have never seen that. Are you aware of any examples you can share? To see a one arm variation of a proper full planche seems to rare, like finding a unicorn in the garden.

There was someone posting a couple of months ago asking about a Victorian .... well, some street workout variation and not a real victorian element in gymnastics. Very, very different.

I guess it could be argued it's kind of the same like peope saying a bent-arm piking at the hips version of the Front Lever is still a front lever ..... ahhh, not really.

@bibbigo

That is the one arm variation of the planche. If you mean one where the body is straight like in a regular planche then that is literally impossible as you will not be able to balance like that. You need to twist or bend hips towards your arm to be able to balance just like in a OAFL and OABL.

There was someone posting a couple of months ago asking about a Victorian .... well, some street workout variation and not a real victorian element in gymnastics. Very, very different.

There are real Victorians done by street workout athletes, but they are all done on short straps which are easier than the ones done on the high rings by elite gymnasts. Even with that said, there is still no footage of a perfect Victorian or even one done with locked arms by the few elite gymnasts that compete them.

I guess it could be argued it's kind of the same like peope saying a bent-arm piking at the hips version of the Front Lever is still a front lever ..... ahhh, not really.

You can say that in this case with most one arm planches done out there being non-legit as the arm is slightly bent. But keep in mind, like the victorians, this is still very impressive and incredibly difficult unlike bent arm FLs or PLs. It is just that a true straight arm one is so difficult that there is rarely anyone who has achieved it including super high level handbalancers.

@bibbigo I agree with you on the point that some of the skills have wierd "progressions". Examples of these would be the Planche and the Front Lever. I will most likely go back to those and see if I can come up with a more linear "progression".
The reason I write it a " 'progressions' " is because this skill tree isn't supposed to show you every progression in between the main skills. It is just supposed to contain the main skills and their next harder "progression"/skill.
As to the Dragon Flag, I think you are right about the fact that the change from Dragon Flag -> Dragon Press seems very drastic. I probability won't include ankle weighted progressions as they are basically the same skill (not difficulty wise of course) and are most often used to progress to a new skill or to increase the difficulty of a skill that has no real next "progression". That being said, I will probably include thr OA Dragon Flag between the DF and the DP. I will also make my final version publicly available so you can download it and customize it to your hearts content.
I hope this at least somewhat satifies your question.

@hannah97 Good luck to you. Looking at the picture reminded me of the time I moved my entertainment center with a TV and lots of electronics inside and behind it there were wires and cables everywhere entangled in a web of knots. :-O

@hannah97 Hate to be the annoying person correcting spelling but it's *prerequisite. This is a really cool idea though. It's inspiring me to make one of my own but the lazy side of me is content with simple lists and arrows. Since I'm a beginner with very limited strength, I can't do any of these yet so I could probably make a simpler one with progressions which would then progress to yours.

@brandon1986 Someone had also pointed out a spelling mistake before, so I guess I have to work on that. As to your idea for a progression tree: I made my skill tree to mainly include important skills which lead to other skills and didn't really add any of the progressions between the skills. The first skills of each category are just meant to represent the foundation on which the following skills then build, but making a skill tree which shows the progressions for each skill as well as the skills themselves is a great idea. One thing to consider is that it would have to be quite vast, much bigger than the one I am trying to make, but it is definitely doable especially when focusing on more fundamental aspects of bodyweight training.

@cramoisi I might not answer this very correctly, as I don't know a lot about the RR (never did it), so I don't really know which of these skills are in the RR and which are not. I tried to divide my skill tree into eight subtopics:
  • Core strength(ish)
  • Pushing strength
  • Gymnastic Rings Skills
  • Pulling strength
  • Bicep/Hefesto(I couldn't really fit it into anything)
  • Back Lever(not quite pushing or pulling IMO),
  • Handstand strength/balance
  • Parallel Bar Sits/Reverse Planche(once again, an argument could be made for putting the Reverse Planche into the Pulling strength category)
If I am correct in my assumption, this way of categorizing is not the same way things are organized in the RR. This means that my skill tree is more of a broad list of goals that you could set yourself to achieve. I think it might be a good way to organize training for certain skills, but it is probably not the best guide if you are looking for a way to learn the progressions themselves. In that regard, this would have to be considered a standalone, not in direct connection with the RR, and the RR would be your source for progressions and routines.

As stated in my first sentence, I think that many of the skills listed in my skill tree are not in the RR, mainly because they are quite frankly "insanely" hard to achieve and probably not relevant for somebody who has set themselves to become very good at the basics, someone who is understandably not willing to dedicate their whole life to training these skills.

To sum up my messy paragraph organization:

This is not directly related to the RR and should mainly be used to visualizing the way to your goal, in case it is not included in the RR. If you stick to the RR this skill tree would probably never be of much relevance, but if you ever decide that the RR doesn't include a certain skill you want to learn, the tree might be a good way of developing your own training program.

I hope my writing was somewhat understandable and that I answered your question.

@hannah97 Cool idea and decent execution but the workbook would an even better share.

I don't know what a lot of these moves are so not being able to copy paste and find a video takes most of the meaning out of it for me personally.

@wanjiku I stated in my intitial post that I was gonna share a link to the excel sheet so people can look at it there and improve it. I don't know if I should make it publicly editable since that might cause some trolling but I can definitely share the link to the google sheets, which I can keep updated. I might also include youtube links in future versions, as suggested by @dominicbaptiste.

Here is the link to the google sheet:

Skill Tree Link (Google Sheets)

I will also post it above and I will try to keep it up to date with what I am doing on by computer.