Can’t progress pull ups - need some help with strategizing

dollfaceme23

As the title says I am currently unable to progress my pull ups. I’m at 0, and well I’m unsure of how I can achieve my first one. I need to be able to do 3-5 by the end of the summer (which is 4 months from now) and I’ve tried almost everything. For reference I’m 5’9, 150 LBs and about 20ish Percent body fat give or take. I’ve done assisted pull ups, I can do 12 of those in a row (without much assistance from my feet I might add). I’ve heard progressing negatives helps a lot of well but for some reason I can do like, 2 negatives that’s are 4 seconds or so, probably less, before falling to the ground instantly on the next rep. I’ve been trying different things for a few months - I’ve done inverted body weight rows (although with my legs forming a right angle with the ground instead of straight out in front of me). I tried the Athlean X 0 to 5 I think although I did it wrong looking back and may try it again if nothing else works. But I’m really desperate to get those pull ups - I’ve put in the work and I’m just not seeing anything happen.

Edit: oh and kneeling Lat pull downs, I do those

@dollfaceme23 Hi.
Now this might not be the answer you want , but this is what helped me hit 6 pull ups.

I used the heavy band for assisted pull ups
Then moved on to the medium ,
Then the light , and finally I did pull ups without bands.

Here's what I found to be helpful.
For each band use this set/rep

Do 3 sets of 10 reps
Once you can do that with each band,
Keep in mind the light band will be much harder as it'll offer the least amount of help, then you can start doing pull ups without the band!

You can for example do 25 pull ups 3 times a week if you like, you can do 1 pull up per set , or however many you want per set as long as you get 25 In total.

Now I'm stuck at 7 pull ups, and I'm still trying to figure out how to climb up to 10 pull ups.
My goal is to be able to do 25 in a row.

You can use weight training specifically meant for your upper and lower back, hitting all the muscles
Also, working on your core strength helps out .

I like to do my pull ups with proper form,
If you work on your technique and form it'll help out alot .
Also,
For the grip,
There are two ways to grip the bar.
1. To grab it normally. Meaning the way you grab from example a baseball bat, you have all four fingers wrapping it and the thumb also wrapped around it, meeting the rest of your fingers.
  1. This is by far, the best way for me .
    Grabbing it like you'd normally would BUT your thumb DOES NOT WRAP AROUND THE BAR. Instead it is right next to your finger .
    I can't really explain it properly.
    Maybe this can help:
    Imagine you are hanging from a cliff ok?
    You have both hands holding onto the edge .
    The edge is flat. You won't be able to grab it like you would grab a baseball bat or a stick.
    Instead you would only be able to have your fingers and thumb holding onto the flat surface.
    Then you pull yourself up.
If you do it with the second form of grip, it'll be a bit better. At least for me it is.
I found that I have less tension on my forearms that way and I have to use my back and arms more.

I really hope this helps.

@dawn16 I progressed by doing slow eccentrics after as many full pullups i could do. I would also do an isometric hold for time at the top and arms at 90 degrees, although im not sure that does a ton. i was just fucking around to get a good burn

@seth504 I came here to comment exactly that: if you’re stuck, add in negatives! They allow you to progressively overload really nicely. Also, the isometrics are really good too. I used to do them a lot as well to break plateaus and get rid of weak points in my pull ups.

@westcoastdan ive always been a bit iffy about overdoing too many negatives because at what point is it "working past failure"? i can do a full set of pullups to failylure and then still do like 4 or 5 5sec eccentrics. Its really tempting to push yourself as hard as possible which I used to do. Id imagine people should be mindful and stop both their concentric set and eccentric drop set a few reps short of failure.

@dawn16 I second the band suggestion! I was stuck at zero for years, despite tons of negatives and chair-assisted-type movements. I was eventually able to do one or two chin-ups, but they were ugly and lopsided. I switched to bands about two years ago and got up to sets of 4-5 unassisted pretty quickly.

Now I'm running the Fighter Pullup Program and am up to sets of 9 every other day. Highly recommend looking into the FPP once you get up to sets of 3 and want to commit to increasing your max reps.

For reference, I'm AFAB, 5'5" and 140lbs, so I've got a lot of physical attributes working against me.

@dawn16 I can't seem to find a set of bands that don't seem cheap at first glance so I haven't picked any up, but would like to give this a try. Is there a certain set or brand you recommend?

@jordanfirestar I used both "Ethos" bands
And I also used "SKLZ" bands.
The second choice is more affordable than ethos but they both are the same when it comes to assistance.
It's really just up to you, I think. Some people say to use pull up specific bands but those are the two I used . Plus, if you have a Dicks sporting goods shop near you , you can buy it today!
I hope this helped answer your question!

@dollfaceme23 Start with chin ups if you haven't

Here is a good way to increase pull up strength by MindfulMover

Scapular pull ups are also a good way to increase strength

Greasing the groove is a seriously powerful and worthwhile tool.

• Do 50% of your max reps per set. If you can't do a rep, do assisted reps and unassisted negatives

• About 3-5 sets per day. Minimum 1h between sets

• 3-5 days per week

• 2-4weeks

It's also said to drop whatever exercise you are working on from your routine but I never do and it works for me.

Also remember intensity over volume, so instead of 5+ exercises per muscle group try 2-3 but at a high intensity

@phillipaustralia 3-5 Sets at 50% max only 3-5 days a week is not enough volume. Greasing the groove should be as many sets as possible with 1h or so between sets at ~50% max as long as you still feel fresh - daily. Take rest days when you feel tired.

@saratee Looking for advice if you can help. I can do 4-5 pull ups max in one go, would greasing the groove still help and how many should I do each hour? Or should I feel it out and go from there?

@rootuchiha Answer to your first question is yet, gtg will definitely help. As for how many each hour, think of it more in terms of leaving enough time for you to feel fully recovered in between sets.