Can you reach effective hypertrophy in the 3-5 rep range with weighted Calisthenics?

@acushla I have no idea about which studies you're talking. To my knowledge and recent check on new evidence, anything above or at 30%rm is equally effective for hypertrophy. Besides that there seem to be people reacting differently well to high, medium or low load within this range. However nothing of this has any to do with the risk/reward issue and fatigue problem. It's known that hypertrophy is a reaction to mechanical tension on the muscle fibers at low contraction velocity, so that's the primary factor you need, but besides that there're other factors interacting with just this one. For owe it to yourself/clients /athletes to look at resistance training in a holistic way.

PS: If you could provide a link to the specific research you're referring to I'd be thankful AND will take an sincerely look at it.

@jah138 Im not saying low rep is the best but its the best for me. Also wouldnt start low with untrained clients. But a lot of them have benefited from changing it up after a while.

Brad J. Schoenfeld (2021)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7927075/

With respect to hypertrophy, the compelling body of literature indicates that similar whole muscle growth (i.e., muscle thickness, CSA) can be achieved across a wide spectrum of loading ranges ≥ ~30% 1RM. These findings are independent of age and training status. Thus, as a matter of principle, there is no ideal “hypertrophy zone.” From a practical standpoint, however, a case can be made that moderate loads provide the most efficient means to achieve muscle development given that light load training involves performing many more repetitions compared to the use of heavier loads, which in turn increases the time spent training.

Here's an excerpt that argues both sides. Moderate loads can be most efficient but if you are willing to take more time with rest and volume, low/high loads get the same hypertrophy results.

@acushla “participants in the powerlifting-type group displayed signs of overtraining and joint-related issues at study’s end whereas no such symptoms were observed in the bodybuilding-type group.”

That’s the part I was looking for. While, yes, it is possible, the risk of injury is greater in the lower rep range. Risk/Reward and all that.

@acushla Firstly: thanks for the effort. Appreciate it.

Secondly: I was aware of this article, but the highest intensity mentioned in it is 90%rm roughly 4rm of load. What's meant with high loads are 80-90%rm or 4-5rm loads. There's little data on 1-3rm to my knowledge and again the risk/reward and fatigue problem. I'd not recommend training with 1-4rm with high volume over a long period of time, due to the risks connected with it. Staying injury free as good as possible (without major tradeoffs) is the number one priority, everything else follows.

@emyrs My point is that it’s possible to get equal results at all ranges not what’s easier. Some people like me prefer lower rep ranges. And others could plateau break by switching to lower or higher ranges.

@emyrs I got surprising results with easy strength recently. Low rep range AND low weight (50-80% of 1rm), but you do a large number of sets throughout the week. Never go to failure

@123vicky You have to start doing additional accessory work. I plateaued hard when I got to 5x5 @95lb weighted pullups. When I dropped the leadi and increased reps, after a few weeks I more than doubled the total volume and am actually feeling sore after workouts again.

@123vicky Strength versus hypertrophy isn’t a zero-sum game, but it still pays to periodize your training to some degree if you’re at a point where one or the other is becoming your primary focus.

Lifting close to failure is a major driver of hypertrophy (though hypertrophy isn’t solely dependent on that), and higher volumes allow you to get closer to your threshold of failure (zero reps-in-reserve). That’s why drop sets for instance can be such a useful tool. You might not be able to squeeze out another pull-up after ten reps (0 RIR), but you may have a few inverted rows in you since it’s an easier pull lift (3 RIR).

Lifting in the 3-5 rep max range will drive hypertrophy, but it may not be “optimal”. I would decide if strength or hypertrophy is more important to you right now and program accordingly. Maybe add some drop sets after your higher intensity calisthenics. :)

@dawn16 I would say it’s 50/50 for both, I want to build more strength since I’m new to calisthenics, but I also want to gain more muscle through calisthenics. Another person suggested that after I drop the weight immediately after each set and continue with no weights until failure. I am thinking of trying that next time.

@123vicky 50:50 is a perfectly valid way to train! Like, look, I get wrapped up in the science of fitness and “optimization” because I love the subject, but any exercise scientist worth their salt will tell you that, up to an advanced level, you don’t need to be highly specific with the minutiae. Consistently putting work into a well-rounded program will get you 85% of the way there, and the remaining 15% is covered by optimization with thought given to your own individual needs and preferences.

Yeah, that’s exactly what a drop set is! They’re great for getting you to that threshold of failure. :)

@123vicky I recently read the article in our wiki on how to train on a cut and the guidance there was high intensity / low volume - so 5x3-5 kinda range. So what you’re doing is great for minimising loss of (or even gaining some) strength during a cut but a for a lean bulk I’d work more in the 4x8-12 range.