Cardio gains w/o running. I hate to ask the question that’s asked every day but I hope my added wrinkle makes it unique

childofgod418

I live in a very hot environment where running unfortunately isn’t viable half of the year. Are there programs built around the c2 rower, or bike that can help me build a cardio engine during the summer?

@twinmama I second this - the gainslab programming is interchangeable between run/row/bike, so in those in-between months you can mix rowing and running, or even on a cool day during the hot months.

@twinmama I like doing longer cardio pieces and tend to break them up into intervals to make them a little less daunting. Setting out to row a 6k or an hour is pretty intimidating, but doing 6k, 400m on and 100m off, or doing an hour, 1:30 on and 0:30 off is actually nice. Just do minimal pressure on the "off" intervals and focus on your form.

Like stephnelbow mentioned, there's a ton of resources for good rowing workouts. Good luck!

@childofgod418 All my z2 cycling rides (road bike) have paid dividends on all aspects of cardio. Sometimes I’ll work just above my aerobic threshold, but 95% of the time it’s all aerobic.

@garyholden Thanks! Out of curiosity - if you're using Zwift anyway - did you do a ramp test or a regular FTP?

I've seen 204bpm on my Garmin Fenix 5 which seems very optimistic for my age. I think the most I've seen with a chest strap is in the high 180s.

I wonder if there's a way on Strava to filter only for activities with external HR data..?

@createinmeanewheart It was the 20 min FTP test via peloton powerzone training. So a bit less involved than Zwift as I understand it.

I just pedaled like a maniac following instructor prompts. Ended up with a DBZ style scream the last 15 seconds of all out sprint and a full body shaking cry session after.

This was before I got into CrossFit and started spending more time at higher heart rates. Previous was more of a steady state long duration guy who never did any of the interval workouts needed to make speed gains.

@createinmeanewheart I use the MAF 180 Formula. It’s 180 - your age. That number you get is your aerobic threshold. So mine is 180-32=148. I don’t let my HR go above 148. I’ve done this for almost two years now and like I said, it’s paid dividends in all my training.

@createinmeanewheart More like, This is the highest I've ever seen my HR. Now, I'm going to push even harder for as long as I can. If it won't go up, ya take that as your max HR.

It's a kind of weird feeling, if you're someone tuned to HR. You're always used to it going up with increased intensity. But then it doesn't, no matter the effort. Made me a little nervous.

I'm not even sure how a pysiologist would fix max HR. Is it any different? Anyone?

@createinmeanewheart Max heart rate “calculations” are garbage. Look up threshold heart rate test. Joe Friel is a good resource for this. A threshold heart rate can help you establish proper zones and although a field test isn’t 100% accurate it’s better than an arbitrary heart rate - age calculation.

@childofgod418 I really enjoyed the functional bodybuilding engine program from Marcus Philly. I would cherry pick only one or two days though I did the whole thing and by week seven I was bored out of my mind but I have used the rowing and assault bike engine track that it comes with frequently

@childofgod418 Totally. Pretty sure C2 and Assault have endurance programs for their machines on their website. Programs like Street Parking also offer endurance programs for bike or run or row that are really effective.