Possible to be in good cardio shape but very fat?

@ms7dc I mean you could possibly be in good cardio shape vs someone who’s as fat as you but what would be the point of knowing that metric. Being fat is still unhealthy and comes with underlying health risks.

If you’re struggling with your weight with the amount of exercise you’re doing you’ll need to improve your diet. Don’t forget to not skimp out on the protein.

@ms7dc Yes. It’s not healthy long term and for your joints but you see it a lot in older active people. They bike, jog/run, or play a sport but the diet is lacking so they’re heavier but can do a 5K in a respectable time without sucking wind the whole time.

@ms7dc Yes! The human body is amazing. I was overweight at one point when I started my weight loss journey (probably even obese from my BMI) but could run a 26/27 min 5k. All because I started my weight loss journey with running and my cardio strength built up very fast. The weight took a while to come off but it was an impressive feat at 230 LB & 5’8”

@ms7dc This is purely an anecdote, but when i was in my teens i had a fat friend who could move with grace despite his size. He was also tall and very strong.

We played hockey together and he could outskate most of the team including myself and i was a good skater. In fact he was one of the better players at any given time on the ice.

He eventually lost the excess weight over time as he got older and took over his own diet. But wow could he ever move for a large person, even when it came to running he had a strong sprint. He wasn't obese, but just evidently overweight like a football (handegg) lineman.

@ms7dc When I was fat my numbers were almost perfect. I was definitely starting to see some creeping of the lipid numbers, but my HR was consistently below 60, and my BP was ideal. Liver and all other levels were great.

My doctor talked me into losing weight by explaining that I could make that decision with no compulsion. He had nothing to hold over me except for the fact that no one stays healthy forever and the fat accelerates the negative effects of aging. Something about that just made sense to me. It was my decision and mine alone and no one else deserves the credit.

@ms7dc Yes, it's possible to be large and still be in good shape, but it's important to consider the long-term health implications. I once weighed nearly 300 pounds and completed a half marathon, so I understand firsthand that size doesn't always equate to being out of shape. However, this might not be typical for everyone, and there are significant health concerns to be aware of.

For instance, some of the most physically fit large individuals are sumo wrestlers. Despite their rigorous training and athletic prowess, sumo wrestlers have an average life expectancy of around 65 years, which is approximately 15 years shorter than the average lifespan in Japan, where most sumo wrestlers come from.

The additional weight can place extra strain on the heart, joints, and other vital organs, leading to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. While being big and in shape is commendable, maintaining a healthier weight can contribute to better overall health and longevity. Also it sucks for your bones and joints in general.

@ms7dc My dad was in the best shape of his life and qualified and ran the World’s Toughest Mudder in his 55+ age group, while having 2 arteries 50% clogged, one 90% clogged and the other 100%. He ended up needing an emergency quadruple bypass just weeks after he returned from a successful 24hr event where his only “pain” was from a groin injury he sustained during the run.

So yes. You can look ANY way and still have your health stats not align. Just because you have fantastic cardio endurance doesn’t mean you’re not putting your heart under massive unsustainable strain every day. And your liver (specifically from being overweight). And your pancreas. Etc etc.

@chozenwun I know. I can only do it one day at a time.

On a side note, I’m always amazed that it’s 2024 and we still can’t catch blockages that bad that during a routine annual examination. You’d think a) it’d be something we would look for and b) it’s something we could actually detect prior to a heart attack or going under the knife.

@ms7dc Yeah big guys can move. Think football linebackers. Very strong and fast compared to your average person. Some of them “very fat”. If you can get your calories under control and keep up the workouts, you’ll be amazing at a lower weight. You can do it, you just need to find the right solution that will work for you. Often requires third party help.

@ms7dc Yes and it’s a good thing and your body physically will follow in time. Keep it up. It’s way better than doing damage from being overweight and not being able to reverse the cardiac health of damage already done despite loosing weight.

@ms7dc I have friends who run marathons and have big fat bellies and slim, yet toned, legs and arms. Diet is a huge factor in body composition as is strength training.

Back