CrossFit Quarterfinals Weekend Thread

@justasimplea I don't think the QF are a money grab, but from the standpoint of selecting the best of the best, it seems like it would be more sensible to put the cut-off at 1000 athletes for the regions with 30 semifinalists and 2000 athletes for the regions with 60 semifinalists. Maybe even half of that. I think that puts the total entries at a lower number in general. The reason I say that, is by concentrating the field earlier, it would be easier to deploy your limited judging resources to scrutinize the QF entries. And also, it makes more sense to me to have a fixed-number cutoff instead of a percentage cutoff, because to me, the cutoff shouldn't really depend on how many people like me, who are way outside of Games caliber, sign up for the Open.

But also, I'm no threat to ever make the Games, so I'm not losing sleep over it.

@revjrm2047 I agree with you from the perspective of finding the fittest.

However from the perspective of the semi competitive athlete it's pretty fun and a good second test to see where you stand with the more difficult movements. It's also good from a financial perspective for CrossFit.

@littlefox Yeah, I totally get the bigger field making sense from the participant angle, and it seems like it could be pretty cool for those who make it that far. Good luck to anyone that qualified and I bet it will be a good experience for most.

@sarahjamison19 I'm not losing any money over it.

And find it hilarious. I know people who clawed their way into the QFs only to be met with 9 reps of 25FT of Unbroken Handstand Walking AND a clean and jerk at a Semi-final weight.

@justasimplea It's pretty awesome. For all the whining about the scoring and the standards this should be a really great reminder that even if you've made QF you are "competing" in the absolute loosest sense of the word.

@justasimplea Workout 1 would be me doing 9 front squats in about 90 seconds. Then spending +13 minutes doing 225' of HS walks. I'm exaggerating a bit but I would def spend a lot of time doing those only to get slapped in the face by 15 RMUs. I'm hoping the AGOQ will be a bit ~easier~

@mark_j Yep! And I have not been doing them much the last 6 months so it would crush me. I made the AGOQ (M 35-39). I'm hoping this one isn't one of the workouts, but I'm sure it will be. If I recall, I made it in 2021 and there were less workouts and the weights/reps were a bit different. The overall theme of the workout was the same, but had some slight variations.

@jonjones229 Ugh I'm SO sad I'm missing this. Got injured right before the open so I couldn't do it for the first time ever and of course these all look creative / fun. Good luck to everyone participating!