DIAMONDS ARE RIDICULOUSLY HARD

dadnotsuperman

Title.

I can do 3 sets of 8 reps of regular push-ups, perfect form and I go all the way down, I can even do more reps, but I never tried.

Now off to the goddamn diamonds, I can do them comfortably but only go halfway down, if I go any lower I can't get back up, I tried doing push-ups with a closer grip and I can't go all the way down. Chest touching my hand and nose touching the ground? This is impossible.

I tried doing diamonds on a wall, I could go all the way but I can feel a deep stretch in my forearms, which hurts. Some said it's about strength, but believe me it's not, because I can't even do one going all the way down, is it some flexibility issue or something? And would it work if I do regular diamonds for now going halfway down, then start working on my form?

Please help me, I'm desperate.

P.S: I'm 6'5, close to 200 lbs, do any tall people here suffer from this particular issue?
P.S 2: I tried flaring my elbows out, forming a T-shape, still the exact same thing, not easier at all.

EDIT: One more thing to add, I feel pain on the outside of my wrists whilst doing diamonds on the wall, is that normal?

EDIT 2: k guys, I decided to try to increase my reps for now, because it makes sense, since I'll be doing nothing but push-ups the next few months, and I'll definitely benefit from more reps, thanks for the advice!

EDIT 3: FINALLY I KNOW THE ISSUE NOW.

It was all about the hand position, I can't do diamonds with both thumb and index touching, but I can do them with just my thumbs touching, and index fingers facing forward easily.

Thanks for misinforming me, I KNEW IT'S NOT ABOUT STRENGTH!!

@nvmommyx6 By adding weight I meant I put weight plates in an old backpack and put it on while I push up. It's not a pure bodyweight excercise then but I have some plates for adjustable dumbbells so it's practical for me.

@faithinhim2012 I think it's way to early for him to be adding weight with push ups he is only doing 3x8 i recommend atleast being ableto do sets of 15-20 push ups before you even attempt diamonds when i started doing them the side of my palm would be burning the skin was being strected so when i would do them i would have to endure it that was my only problem with doing diamonds

@dadnotsuperman Post a video of your best attempt at diamond, normal pushup and pushup with hands just slightly closer together than normal

Also you can't go down at all even if your hands are just SLIGHTLY closer together? Seems like it's either psychological or you have really weird mobility problems

@dontdosadness I mean, of course I can go down in a narrower grip, but just not as much, one elbow will be flared more than the other, too.

Maybe it's just that my arms aren't used to being in such a position? Or is it a balance/flexibility issue? I'm sure it's not about strength, because I can do a couple few dips just fine.

Back