DIAMONDS ARE RIDICULOUSLY HARD

@dadnotsuperman I could see merit in either option, but for me I would feel more comfortable increasing reps. As you fatigue- but maintain good form!- you learn to become more efficient with the movement and that can lead to better coordination. The more good reps you do the better that movement pattern becomes ingrained as well! Another similar option would be to really slow down the reps to increase difficulty and really challenge yourself to get perfect form and ROM.

@dadnotsuperman Yeah dude I gotta be honest with you, I've been lifting for a little over a decade and you are not making a whole lot of sense.

You want to not build muscle... by working out... and progress to a harder workout... without making any gains... and don't want to make any gains until you've reached clap push-ups?

This is just not how biology works.

@dadnotsuperman Don't train for high reps push-ups unless you want to get really good at that form of push-up. At least that's what I've read everywhere including the recommended routine. If you want to get stronger you need progressive overload, either with added weights or a harder version of push-ups

@dadnotsuperman Damn no one mentioning form? I'm betting you are flaring your elbows out, which is bad form and can mess your shoulders up in the long run. Keep your elbows more at your side than flared. Your hands (index and thumb) should form a W, not a Diamond.

@jackielh So much this. Despite my love of descriptive linguistics, saying "diamond pushup" implies that the fingertips need to touch, even though it often causes elbows to flare.

@dadnotsuperman I'm 6"3' and weight 200 lbs. I can do one or two full diamonds with some effort. I used to be able to do more, but in the last weeks I have to admit my workout intensity has decreased.

But, I was able to do them after practicing a few weeks with archer push ups (a ball under one hand, far away. its a progression to one armed push ups). But man my arms never went so sore like after doing a few sets of archer push ups.

Back