DIAMONDS ARE RIDICULOUSLY HARD

@dadnotsuperman I'd like to put in another bump for short term volume increase for progression. I could do 3x30 good form regular push-ups and still couldn't do a diamond, so out of frustration I did at least 200 a day, sometimes 300, for about two weeks, then nailed 3x4 diamonds after a couple days rest and moved on from there. Nothing I'd want to do long term, but it broke the barrier.

@dadnotsuperman Few years back when we were doing diamonds at bball practice I found that focusing on keeping my shoulderblades retracted/chest out allowed me to do the variation. Otherwise I couldn't get up. I'm not sure how this affects anything else, so double check you're on the correct path if it works.

@dadnotsuperman Im 17, when I was 14 or so my karate teacher used to tell us to do diamonds, I struggled (very skinny, no muscle) I am by no means dedicated, but I just started doing push ups whenever, like maybe 1-4 times a week id just get down and do as many as I could. That lasted for like 2 weeks. I incorporated diamonds into that, and while I could tell you if it was perfect form or not, nowadays I can do diamonds almost as easily as regular push ups. Max rep is probably around 40. I am by no means dedicated, I have been so slack with exercise lately and it's kinda making me sad :

@dadnotsuperman I want to warn you about the wrist pain. If you ignore the pain and continue to workout, you'll eventually get tendonitis. You should either wait for your wrists to heal or do tendon exercises like this

@dadnotsuperman Maybe a week, but I would say until you don't feel the pain in your wrists anymore. You could also rest a few days and do those exercises as you do your pushups too. That way you strengthen your wrists at the same time.

@dadnotsuperman With the limited amount of push ups you are doing you should not be attempting diamonds, focus on getting up to 25-35 reps in one set. If you are hitting a barrier train wider stances, elevated, one legged, etc. Diamonds are going to be some of the hardest variation of push up you can do.

@dadnotsuperman Do them on your knees. If that's too difficult do them on your knees with your hands on something sturdy of shoe box height, like a clean cinder block.

Progress to doing them on your knees hands on ground. Then on your toes using the cinder block. Then toes hands ground. Then toes on cinder block with hands on ground.

If you're a beast and toes elevated hands on ground has become easy, time to buy a backpack. You can start with moderatdly dense, convenient weight material (1gal water jug weighs eight pounds, 2 weigh 16, and after workout you can open and re hydrate) - to more dense things like weight plates.

Body weight workouts are all lever physics. ;)

@dadnotsuperman Follow these simple steps:

1) Switch your push-up routine to 5 sets of 8 reps. Add 1 rep each week until you are able to do 5 sets/20 reps. Should take you around 3 months. Make sure each rep is in perfect form.

2) Try diamond push-ups again. You should be able to do at least 5 sets/8 reps. Change your routine to 5 reps/8sets of diamond push-ups and 5 sets/12 reps regular push-ups. Keep adding 1 rep to each set of diamond push-ups and subtract a rep from regular push-ups. Your aim should be able to 5 sets/20 reps diamond push-ups.

3) Admire your beautiful chest.

Yes, I understand doing all those push-ups takes up a lot of time. In fact you'll be spending 20-30 minutes just doing push-ups. So I recommend moving some exercise to off days.

Back