DIAMONDS ARE RIDICULOUSLY HARD

@dadnotsuperman This thread is semi-related to something I was wondering about.. here it goes:

For some reason, diamond pushups are harder than regular ones for me. Can someone explain this to me? Also, how should I progress now? I can pretty easily do 3x 10 diamonds.

@dawn16 Yes, they're definitely supposed to be harder. I've probably been doing the regular ones wrong all along until recently. A couple weeks ago I watched Antranik's video and now they're really hard all of the sudden. I could be doing the diamond incorrectly, though that's not probable since I watched lots of guides on how to do them properly. I'm also really paying attention to my form at all times now.

Perhaps it's muscle imbalances?

@manapaincenter yep, having same situation with pushups after starting RR.

easy 30 with old incorrect form, barely 8 after starting to follow Antranik's guide on pushups. I guess because chest barely works with incorrect form.

@dadnotsuperman 6'4'' here, can confirm. I transitioned to it by going as slow as possible and finding the breaking point. Then I moved my hands out inch by inch until I could do a full "diamond" pushup without the exaggeration of having the hands together.

I feel like core strength definitely comes out in this stance as well. Maybe spread your feet out ~6 inches and keep your elbows tucked close to your body. Keep working hard!

@dadnotsuperman I mean, yeah, they're tough, but so is every progression in the RR. Just continue working at regular pushups and when you feel stronger (also you'll build up muscle from the other exercises) you can do like 5 reg pushups and 1 diamond pushup per set. Then slowly increase the amount of diamond pushups until you can do full sets of 8

@dadnotsuperman Try just doing a progression by starting out with normal push-ups, and putting your hands at a closer position each time. Really focus on getting your tri's involved. It's ok to put your hands in a diamond position but spread out a little till you get the form down. Also when you go to the bottom position just hang out there, get your wrists and forearm use to that feeling.

Just for reference I broke my wrist when I was 12 (am now 28) and currently still can't bend it all the way back, I have so much pressure built up when I do diamonds but I am still able to do them, you will too!!!

@dadnotsuperman Diamonds progressed with my other ring skills personally. Regular dips, skin the cat, and lever work (can't do any levers yet though) boosted the triceps/diamond push ups to point where I can do about 6 good ones, 6 archer push ups as well (they improved concurrently without cross training). As a point of reference I can do ~20 regular push-ups in a max rep set. Keep at it, work on your mobility, and keep bringing your hands closer until they are together.

@dadnotsuperman I perceive them a slightly harder than standard pushups but would do 3x8 just fine. Also I remember someone here saying that diamonds does not have much added value compare to standard pushups when it comes to RR. However I dont remember the reasoning. Im few months into RR so this is beginner perspective..

@dadnotsuperman This probably isn't it, but when I first tried diamonds my hands were way too far forward and I couldn't do them for months. Then I watched a form vid again and realized I had my hands out by where my head would come down. When I moved them back to center at my chest I could do them no problem.

@dadnotsuperman Instead of jumping to diamond push ups now, you could try to increase the intensity of the progression you are currently doing. That way you will eventually build the necessary strength for the diamond push up.

If you find that 3x8 of the regular push ups is too easy just raise your feet 10 inches off the ground and it will be much harder. Decease or increase the hight depending on your level.

Also I don't think 3x8 is that many reps for pushups. I do 3x15 of the push up shown here and I feel no need to progress yet.

@dadnotsuperman If diamonds are too hard it's because forming a diamond with your hand puts unnecessary pressure and strain on your hands and wrists, try doing diamonds by simply putting your hands close together without forming he diamond, it's the same thing but without the extra strain on your hands. If you still find this difficult, slowly progress by inching your hands closer together when you can. Have them apart at regular distance first week, bring them an inch closer the next week and so on at a comfortable pace until you can do them correctly. Someone recommended adding weight to your push ups by wearing a backpack with weights, I wouldn't recommend this because it is bad for your joints, try one arm push up progressions after you've mastered the close push up

@dadnotsuperman I do diamond push ups all the time there easy for me getting into them can be hard start of with sets 10 reps or 5 depending onyour level 5x5 or 10x5 if you can't do any at all just spread the diamond a lil bit to build into being stronger enough to do it i hope this advice helps you

@dadnotsuperman In all honesty i think that it may be an issue of form in you regular push ups. Can you do the 3x8 regular push ups explosively? You mentioned clapping push ups but where do your elbows end up on the push ups you currently do? A "normal push up" by the standards we follow in the Air Force is where your elbows break 90° and for most people their arms are angled away from their torso. A diamond push up relies a lot on tricep strength so aim for the elbows to come in near your sides when you are in the down position with your hands approximately in line with your sternum and build explosive strength in your triceps with a slow downward motion and an explosive upwards motion. Through this method you will develop better push ups over all and build towards the clapping push ups.

Back