Does anyone else feel like they look incredibly stupid at the gym?

@1950princess I had a similar story but literally the opposite: I was at a pizza restaurant with my husband where the pizzas are 12” thin crust really traditional Italian style. The waiter puts a pizza in front of me and one in front of my husband and we both are beyond delighted with how good they smell and look! Audible thanking the waiter and complimenting the chef. There is a woman next to us on a first date with some tech bro who looks at me, looks at the pizza, and says to her date “Ugh, I could never imagine eating a whole pizza.”

I just turned to her, gave her the “pity face” like “oh, I’m so sorry for you”. Why would you come to a pizza place that serves personal pizzas, then?!!

@1950princess I've gotten that from not sweating at the gym too. In January I hopped off the treadmill after 3 miles and the dude I was seeing was (in a very judgmental tone) all "...You didn't even go hard enough to break a sweat." Buddy. I'm recovering from a stress fracture and even if I weren't going all out on every run is a recipe for injury.

(Though it helps that I get sweaty mostly in arm, knee, and elbow pits so it's not as visible as say, face, haha)

@colton1919 My face doesn't sweat properly, so I don't look so sweaty even when the rest of me is and I'm working hard, and I get that "You barely broke a sweat" comment a lot! (also I overheat and need to pour water on my face when I run outside)

@colton1919 There is a good fucking chance that if a dude said that to me that I'd reach out and push him off his treadmill. I daresay I'd do it in one swipe, like a cat pushing a water glass off a table.

@beyoutifuloutlaw I thank you for your comment and I choose to believe it because it means I'm not just a gross, drippy person I'm just super buff.

In reality though, I think my body thermostat is just set a couple of degrees too high. Running for half an hour is difficult so I don't think I'm that fit.

@crucisdecristo Echoing the general sentiments. Everyone looks incompetent at the gym, and especially for perfectionists, it's very difficult to over-exert yourself in front of others, especially if you're a beginner.

I've found that going to a women's gym helps a lot.

@crucisdecristo I often practice new movements at home before going to the gym. Frog pumps, broom deadlifts and a few others were perfected at home first before moving to the "big leagues"

@crucisdecristo Most people, even experienced people, look stupid working out. Who cares if people think you look stupid though? What are they going to do to you over it? WORST case scenario someone says something, but if they do they're a dick.

@crucisdecristo I went through the same thing years ago. Just keep going and doing your thing and it will fade away each time. You'll get to the point where you know you're going there to do your own thing and so is everyone else.
The person above is right about form, I will kind of "eek" at someone who is doing something that could cause a major injury. But really most basic exercises are hard to do that with.

@crucisdecristo Absolutely. This is common among men and women. I took some weight training courses at a local community college by a well educated instructor and that really helped. But what got me over that final hump was working at a gym for a year. Holy hell some of the “ripped dudes” had the worst form and were just totally ineffective. There were times I had to bite my lip knowing these dudes were one move away from a muscle tear or serious back injuries. I’d say at least 80% of the members had no clue what they were doing. The same guys who’d spend two hours in the gym lifting weights far too heavy for them.

Keep your head down and know that most of the gym members around you are insecure even if they look confident. Put your ear buds in and do your thing and ignore the others and compete with yourself only. And if anyone wants to give you tips, thank them and go back to doing your own thing and the annoying ones, ask them where they were educated/what certs they have and by and large they will sulk off.

@wuzupman Yeah, this is the only thing I judge people for. Oh, and loud grunting and posing in front of mirrors.

Having said that, I was also initially the idiot who did deadlifts with such poor form that a PT had to intervene 😅

@wuzupman You are spot on. I worked in my college gym and omg the form issues I saw. That being said, 99.99999% of people were completely unremarkable and imo the only thing you can do at the gym to make yourself look stupid is not cleaning up after yourself.

@crucisdecristo I used to feel very self conscious at the gym and I still do after over a decade of weightlifting when I’m trying something new. Biggest thing I can tell you is that 99% of the people who are there, are not looking at you and aren’t thinking anything about you or what you’re doing. When I feel that way, I ask myself, how many times I have I looked around today and thought “that person looks ridiculous”.....and the answer is almost never.

I always made sure when I was starting out that I would watch videos on proper form because that is the one thing that may get you some looks, if you’re doing something wildly wrong—but that’s rare.

Just do your thing, people believe what they see—if you walk in and do all your stuff with confidence, people will see confidence even if you don’t feel it. Fake it till you make it baby!! I think we’ve all been in this place at one time or another🙃