Does anyone else think that the leg press is a superior quad builder compared to conventional barbell squats?

@jinxy Totally late answer but yes. Built up a 400lbs squat on a relatively skinny frame, and pounded my legs. They grew, sure. Then I got access to a leg press and over half a year my legs blew up. I could do more work, focus more on the eccentric, not having lower back/core be the weak point, etc. plus when swuatting heavy for high reps day in day out, it’s just wearing you down, compared to.

Now I like to to medium heavy squats and then high rep leg presses. Legs respond really well to higher reps.

@jinxy Yup! Most isolation exercises will build the muscle they're working more efficiently than a compound lift. That being said, if the goal were general fitness instead of just building quads and you had to choose one, a squat has more functionality in building strength in other parts of your body. So I'd personally choose a squat over a leg press if I was forced to only ever do one or the other.

@jinxy Ronnie Coleman always started every workout with squats. Yeah buddy! Its a quintessential compound movement that triggers a good testosterone response, much in the same way as deadlifts do. But thats not to say presses have their place. I think a combination of the two is best. I rotate between them. Presses are easier on the back no two ways about it (Ronnie had his herniated disc while squatting after all). Ain’t nothin but a peanut.

@jinxy
But perhaps the results you get from squatting are in part determined by

your body structure/height (e.g. the taller you are, the less your

quads are activated during a squat)?

Is this true...like is there some kind of research stating this, or is this just an opinion? As a 6'5" trainee of 3+ years I'm very interested in this.

I just recently discovered Hatfield Squats and noticed (the one time I did them) that I was able to overload the bar and it would really hit my quads much more than the SSB squats I've been doing for the last 6 months - and I'm sure my form was waaaayyy off on what it should be for a Hatfield.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a hack squat or leg press machine (home gym).

@jinxy Leg press lets you move your feet around to hit different parts of the leg.

Squats are great for strength and functionality, but from what I've observed, bodybuilders seem to prefer machines because they have a specific aesthetic goal.

@jinxy I personally have always found the best to build quads is a heavy leg press into Bulgarians. Those kill my legs, I love it.

@jinxy Nah. Deep, ass-to-ankles back squats and front squats put more meat on me than any other exercise. But I do have really good ankle mobility to I understand why others with limited mobility might choose a leg press instead.

@jinxy In my humble opinion, I think barbell back squats are barely enough for quad hypertrophy.

Squat good and heavy, squat with submaximal volume too; but definitely include leg press.

@jinxy Dorian Yates was all the backing I needed to not rely on barbell squats. Since moving away from Xfit I almost never barbell squat..lots of kettlebell squats and squat variations..and lots of leg press reps and sets…quads feel huge, legs feel strong

@jinxy Will squats blow your legs up? Yes. Will Leg Press blow your legs up? Yes

Where the leg press has an edge over the barbell squat is the stability that comes with them like you mentioned. On the barbell squat, for most people systemic fatigue will occur before reaching mechanical failure. On leg press, the stability is there, much easier to train a full ROM, and easier to take the legs to a close proximity to failure.

I think they both have a place in a program. If you can barbell or SSB squat pain free, there is def some merit in including it. Leg press would make a great compliment to ensure youre taking quads to a close proximity to failure.

@jinxy I loved leg presses until it strained a groin muscle. I would happily do them again but i am too worried about it injuring my adductor again

@jinxy Depends on how deep you’re going, not to pause and sissy squats. I think free weights and weighted calisthenics are superior to machines generally. Ppl don’t think of it as such but the squat is fundamentally calisthenics. Also variation=gains so of course after you’ve developed a late intermediate type squat and then introduce a new movement you’d see results

@jinxy Narrow Zercher squats properly programmed are my #1 favorite quad activator. Conventional squats dont seem to hit my quads well at all same with leg press

@jinxy If you can find a gym with a pretty good Belt squat machine, these are the real deal. My favorite that I've tried are the Atlantis Strength belt squat and the Rogue Rhino Belt squat