Does body recomposition actually work?

@catholic500 Always helps to actually read the source:

A recent retrospective analysis showed a ‘breakpoint’ for the stimulation of MPS when ingesting an isolated protein source at 0.24 g protein/kg and 0.40 g protein/kg in younger and older participants, respectively.14 Given the observation of a dose-responsive relationship between protein intake and MPS82–85 and the fact that MPS is aligned with muscle hypertrophy,13 we elected to use an identical two-segment regression approach between total daily protein intake and changes in FFM (figure 5) as has been done for changes in protein dose and MPS.14 Here we provide significant insight (using 42 study arms including 723 young and old participants with protein intakes ranging from 0.9 g protein/kg/day to 2.4 g protein/kg/day) by reporting an unadjusted plateau in RET-induced gains in FFM at 1.62 g protein/kg/day (95% CI: 1.03 to 2.20). These results are largely in congruence with previous narrative reviews that comment on the optimal nutritional strategies to augment skeletal muscle adaptation during RET.3 86 Given that the CI of this estimate spanned from 1.03 to 2.20, it may be prudent to recommend ~2.2 g protein/kg/d for those seeking to maximise resistance training-induced gains in FFM. Though we acknowledge that there are limitations to this approach, we propose that these findings are based on reasonable evidence and theory and provide a pragmatic estimate with an incumbent error that the reader could take into consideration.

@jeffwilly001 They should have put that very important bit in the results section of the Abstract instead of making a claim that >1.62 g/kg/day doesn't increase gains then directly contradicting that later on lol.

Anyway, thanks, that is interesting and explains where the 2.2g/kg figure I follow comes from.

@joyfulmom If you're on the extreme ends of height and/or weight, then 1g of protein per 1cm of height can also work for approximately a rough benchmark.

The point is that high protein intake is vital. It's not clear what you're question is seeing as the math is spelled out in the study linked.

@jeffwilly001 I'm using the math that you wrote (or cited, apparently).

"In a caloric deficit, you need x1.5-2 more in order to preserve muscle mass."

Don't be a "read the study I linked" bro.

@joyfulmom It's still not clear what your question is. You appear to be struggling with some internal strife.

Both optimal and maximal protein intake for gaining muscle mass is detailed in the peer-reviewed, evidence-based scientific study.

Eating at a caloric deficit requires an increased protein intake in order to preserve muscle mass.

@susanedgar37 The FAQ you linked says 0.8g/lb! The conclusion of the article the FAQ links to as a source says this: "There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64g/lb."

If this is right then OP is eating enough protein, isn't she?

@dawn16 The SBS Pod had a great discussion of this in their last episode. They did a semi-deep dive on the primary study this recommendation comes from. It was in response to a question about minimum protein intake and they came to a similar conclusion to what you pasted above - .7g/lbs as a reasonable minimum if you’re trying to gain muscle.

@jmh96 Hopping on this to agree- I’ve only been able to recomp eating closer to 1g/pound of body weight, and I build muscle pretty easily. OP if you’re trying to grow muscle in some areas (saw you mention das booty) I’d up your calories a little and up your protein to over 100 grams/day. Protein powder/eggs/cottage cheese can help you add the 30ish additional grams you need while balancing calories.

@_marc97 You have been eating not a huge amount of protein (although you are small) and working out consistently for not very long. You have gained 2lbs which if it continues indicated that you are not recomping but slowly bulking (not a bad thing). Recomping is slow, that's kind of the point. Continue for at least 6 months before you evaluate whether it's working or not.

@kaytiedid My sedentary TDEE is 1550 and I’ve been working out so I doubt it’s actual weight. Especially bc I maintained at this amount for the past 2 years with no exercise. Also the weight gain happened immediately after I started working out and just hasn’t gone away it didn’t happen slowly, literally overnight after a week of working out I went up to 109 and it just hasn’t gone down

Back