Don't say you can't do it. 3 days out from my first show! [PROGRESS]

@mikljeni What?! No, it's a concerned person who doesn't know how fitness competitions work, she should be informed so she'll stop worrying and realize that OP will be fine. Stop being mean just because someone isn't knowledgeable in this area. Christ, people here are acting like everyone knows how competition preparation works and you're a terrible person if you're worrying about someone and letting them know.

@dangtt1 I'm not criticizing you or your progress, the progress you've made is amazing, but I think you've taken it too far.

Currently normal- negative 100 calories

I think that's what it said on your blog, could you explain what you mean by that?

@helenbarbara Competition = too far, for a short and controlled period of time. Deal with it. You don't like competitions? Then stay away from them. People can be unhealthy leading up to then, but she seems like she has her shit together.

TL;DR post a pic of yourself and how much you lift or gtfo.

FYI go calculate it. 5'10, 130ish, lifting 3 days a week - 2200. At max she's at a 500cal deficit, which is standard for 1lb/week steady weight loss. It is not extreme in any way.

@dawn16
I don't mean to be rude, but for someone lifting that much, there's no way your TDEE is 1900.

A few sets of 225 lb deadlifts etc. doesn't burn that many calories. 2250 seems like a realistic TDEE, but that's mostly because she's 5'10. I think people tend to overestimate the calorie expenditure of lifting.

@hope79 It has nothing to do with the "calorie expenditure of lifting" but rather the calorie needs to maintain muscle mass and repair muscles from microtearing. There's no reason to be eating at such a deficit when your body fat is already dangerously low, unless you're trying to deplete muscle mass as well.

@dawn16 I understand how training and recovery work. If she's maintaining her performance in the gym, which it sounds like she is, then she doesn't have a problem with under-recovery. Since you haven't been measuring her skinfolds, you have no basis for saying that she's burning away her muscle mass.

It's not uncommon for men competing in their first natural bodybuilding competition to come in very lean but scrawny and undermuscled. Building a solid muscular physique takes a long time.

I understand that some people are in recovery or struggle with eating issues, but dieting is a part of competition, and people who have no experience with competition derailing the thread to harangue FanofPawl about how unhealthy she is is obnoxious.

At the same time, she was probably asking for it by cross-posting to xxfitness instead of just sticking to r/bodybuilding; then again, you get a bunch of gross comments from dudes in /r/bodybuilding so you kind of can't win, although those generally get downvoted. And of course, nobody has to make progress posts anywhere, let alone multiple progress posts every few weeks like she does, so whatever.

@hope79 I'm not interested in having an argument with you. She posted her progress publicly, on a forum that is open for comment. On a fitness forum of all places. All I see is someone who is clinically underweight and continuing to eat at a deficit. That's unhealthy. Being for a competition doesn't make it any less unhealthy. So I, as well as other people are going to point that out. I frankly don't care if you find it obnoxious. This is a fitness forum, not an extreme weight loss forum.

@dawn16 This is a fitness forum. Where body building is a part of the fitness industry... While she did post publicly, I think maybe she assumed too much when she thought people would actually think about the fact that she is working towards a comp that is almost here. That kind of comp involves cutting, and deficit all the way up to the moment. I'm muscly as all get out at 5'1" and 130 lbs. I am clinically overweight... "clinically whatever" sometimes really means "nothing at all". Especially if one does not look at the circumstance... and her food... which, she is eating more than I am.

Really, more than anything, she deserves a place where she can safely share her progress too. What's the point in all these rules on xxfitness if people are just waiting to jump at an opportunity to negatively call someone out on something they don't understand? (not necessarily you, but kinda, in this post)

@dangtt1 So you're at a deficit of 3150 calories a week. You're already underweight, and you feel the need to lose nearly a whole pound of fat a week still? That doesn't even take into account what you burn off while working out.... gee you're going down the rabbit hole here... be careful...