Emma Gardner not going to college to train at CompTrain

@denisovich Yeah, it could be that the siren song of having world class coaches and a multi-time world champion minutes from her, and a promise of an Academy around them was too much for Emma and she jumped in.

My assumption was that only the senior elites got paid by CompTrain, I don't know if that changed.

@grace4nan That makes sense. If I was 18 and someone was paying me to workout instead of sitting in classes and doing homework, I’d probably make the same decision. As others have said, college will always be there. The opportunity to cash in might not.

@grace4nan College isn’t going anywhere but you only have a limited amount of time to be a Games Athlete. I think for her goals it’s a great decision and she can always fall back on college or something else if it doesn’t pan out.

TBH I was asking about Emma as a talent, not about her decision per se.

She had the ankle injury, but she hasn't been crushing her competitors as far as I can see.

@grace4nan She finished 9th in her open semi final at just 16 only really being beaten by games athletes and beating other games athletes.

That's probably the closest someone has come to making the Games in the open division at just 16?

@skelendke Right. Open performance wasn’t spectacular. Especially when compared to younger athletes (Mal and Emma Cary) who are performing very well and put up some big strength numbers.

@denisovich She seems to have been cought out by her age, the cancellation of events (including the 2020 teen Games), and her ankle injury.

But so far she has not proven that she's in the league of the new 17 year old phenoms.