Europe & Asia Day Semi-final Weekend Discussion Thread

@jonjones229 Wow brutal event 6 for Sara, going to be the 3rd year in a row she won’t be at the games 😢

She’s such a good ambassador for the sport, sucks to see her probably miss out again.

@markymatt Not sure I see how she's a good ambassador for the sport. She's erratic and unfocused, squandering a lot of talent.

I know (and never understood why) she's a favourite among a lot of viewers, but I'd hate for my daughters to hold Sara as one of their heroes just because she had a good run whilst the female field wasn't that competitive.

@labryan She said in a documentary she was overweight and out of shape as a kid and didn’t really come from an athletic background so if she could do it anyone could. I appreciated that since a lot of the athletes were very competitive already in other areas. I saw that as part of being a good ambassador for the sport. Things have changed of course

@lwalton12 Look. I'm not saying you have to dislike her or not empathasize with her.

I just don't think someone who quite obviously isn't able to commit to anything for more than half a season, with constant public erratic behaviour and immaturity written all over her is someone one should strive to be like.

I put my bar of who we should look up to quite high. I don't think soccer, the biggest sport in the world by a mile, produces a lot of heroes anymore for an example.

But CrossFit has brought a lot of extremely kind and hard working people to the fore front. I don't get why one would pick Sara (or either of the Brooks, just to name other examples - but for different reasons) to idolize over a field of Annie, Katrin, Briggs or Ekinwale just to name a few from various periods of time in CrossFit.

We're basically spoiled by good dudes and good gals with mindset lessons to teach us all, in this sport. No reason to idolize the entire field of athletes.

@labryan I agree with you, as I said things have changed. I think in ‘15 and ‘16 she didn’t seem as erratic or uncommitted, instead people saw her as the future of the sport and idolized her then. It’s sad to see someone who had so much expectation not live up to it and I think a lot of people still hold on to the hope she’ll make it back there.
She’s not my top idol, Katrin and Annie are far higher on my list but I still have this nostalgia about watching the old her and thinking my out of shape self could do that one day. Lol

@labryan Weird comparison to make about having a problem if your daughters thought she was a hero…

You’re overthinking this, think like a fan not a coach. As a fan she has a big following due to her longer career, early success and comes across as very likeable. Never met her but I’m sure she’s great and very genuine in person too.

Characters like that help grow the sport, she’s a big draw. Just like any athletic discipline you need a good mix of talent & entertainment to grow & maintain an audience.

@labryan i'm with you. i think she is one of the least healthy athletes i've seen in awhile. i too would discourage anyone from idolizing that one.

@labryan How is she not a healthy hero? She competes for the love of the sport, not the money, is always positive and optimistic through bad times and injuries, and never gives up even though she hasn't performed well in years and could have just quit a while ago.

That's the kind of traits and grit I would want my children to have especially when you consider the mental health aspect of competitive sports and crossfit and the number it has done on many athletes. Not everyone will be Tia or Mat.

@labryan Some people fancy her looks, and some even that she talks like a baby (while a chewing gum hangs out of her mouth).

But she got into the mix at the advent of Icelandic legend and she did get 2 Games podiums, but she couldn't handle the rest of her career. She started switching coaches, places, etc.

As far as "...squandering a lot of talent" one could argue that while she has some base talent she doesn't actually have a lot of necessary talent traits: she is not athletic (she is clumsy), injury prone, uncoachable in the long run, and mentally relatively weak (compared to Games champion levels). So I'm not sure she actually squandered anything.

@grace4nan I can fully get behind the nostalgia, of the heyday of competitive CrossFit storytelling (2014-2018), back when CrossFit still viewed itself as a media company first and foremost. She was a big character in that story. I'm also not saying she hasn't achieved great things. It's not like I've ever, or will ever, come close to her level of fitness.

Yeah, I agree with the way you lay it out as well. But there's two sides to it, I think. Since she's not very smart, never seemed to train smart - in addition to the things you just mentioned. Her genetic traits in in physical areas (how her body responds to training stimulus, her base level of conditioning and strength), as well as her grit (separating that from her other mental features), must have been quite a bit above the average.

So, I don't disagree. But I think there's more to it. IF she had been coachable, just that, I think the right coach could have gotten her much further than she's been and maintained her at the top for basically until now. It's her curse that she's neither smart herself, nor has the capacity to allow a coach to be in the driver's seat. That said, she might've also had the very wrong coaches early in her career.

@labryan I'm not sure about the last part. She may have had the best team when she got podiums. Good cop, bad cop: Kellner seemed harsh and militaristic, Singleton mild mannered professorish. But she had all kinds of coaching styles.

Her desire to 'be happy to be the best' is a cop out in my view. She can't handel the pressure at the Games level.

Or sometimes I wondered whether she gets romantically attached then she has to leave? Not my business but I've never heard any relationships stuff regarding her.

@grace4nan I don't think Kellner was good for her.

I actually, unlike most people, admire the guy for his coaching abilities and insight. Maybe it's because I'm an army officer, who knows.

I've also spoken at length with Erik about his experience coaching her. I agree with his assessment of her (basically the same we're making right now) as well.

But I think he's a very, very bad fit for most females in the sport. Most of whom are extremely anxious and mentally fragile in my experience with top level athletes and their personal dispositions. Sara is just on a whole other level in that regard. And therefore I think she was an extra bad fit.

I think Singleton was too objective and distant. I imagine someone like Sara would have needed more of a Bergeron or Mayhem-esque environment to prosper. Why she did not find it at Reykjavik, I wouldn't know.

Back