Every Push-Up Progression. THE Push Up Index

button

I’ve spent the last month and well over 40 hours of my free time researching, compiling, filming, and creating what you see here today. This list shows more Push-Ups than any other like it AND gives ranking/context its difficulty. Here are the Links...

Video, Excel Sheet

Video - containing things like:
  • A *subjective* scale from Novice to Elite (incline push-ups to full planche push-ups, and beyond)
  • My personal 1-10 Difficulty scale for the push-ups I can do.
  • A lot of blood, sweat, and tears in editing to make a 17-minute video about push-ups interesting…
Excel Sheet- contains EVERYTHING from above AND:
  • Categories for Handstand, Planche, Unilateral, Popular, and Weighted variations
  • A note from me on how I would use each push up for training
  • Each push-up name is a clickable link for more information about the exercise

Why would one man do such a thing?​

Well, let me first start off by saying, this turned into a much bigger project than I was originally expecting...

Long story short I expected the internet to already have this, but it didn’t to my surprise! Greatist had an 80+ push up list that was alright but did a poor job of conveying the difference in difficulty between progressions. It also used a lot of slightly different variations to get to that 80+ number.

Youtube also failed me in this search. Almost all videos had less than 50 push-ups and most LVL 1-100 took big leaps between ‘levels’. I just felt like there was very unclear information for people to set their expectations by.

But more than anything, I’m working hard on what seems like a far off dream of making youtube a full-time job. I cannot think of a more fun way to spend my day than teaching people and entertaining them with the hobby/sport/passion that I love so much. So expect a lot more videos from me in the future on Youtube, and definitely smaller projects so I can get them out a bit faster!

Ongoing Updates/Moving Forward (how to submit a push up I missed):​

So yeah... I expect more than a few “you forgot xyz” push up, but I’m all ears!

I think we could make this a community-style list that could just be a good reference point for everyone. I’m thinking of using it like the Overcoming Gravity 2 list that I have referenced more than a few times.

The only real rule I had when making the selections was that it had to be able to be found from multiple sources, preferably on different platforms (Youtube, Google, Reddit). There are a lot of slightly different variations that cannot be found outside of their bubble, so I tried to play it a tad conservative.

Also, I could have quintupled this list with variations like Knee, Tucked, Adv Tuck, Half Lay, Straddle Half Lay, Open Adv Tuck, Degrees of Incline/Decline. So I think we’d have to play it conservatively with adding things that fit into those variations to keep this a manageable size.

Totally open to speaking with any mods or users that would want to help me upkeep this list so that it’s a useful tool for a long time to come.

Thanks for checking it out! :)

So far the community has added the following to the list:

Bulgarian Push Up - Beginner

Archer Ring Push Up - Intermediate

Archer Pelican Planche Push Up - Elite

One arm Elbow Lever to One arm Planche - Elite

Zanetti Press/Van Gelder - Elite

@sunsets Mods! We need this on

The wiki. This gold can't be

Lost into the flood!

- DND_Smurf

[sup]I detect haikus. And sometimes, successfully.[/sup] [sup]Learn more about me.[/sup]

[sup]Opt out of replies: "haikusbot opt out" | Delete my comment: "haikusbot delete"[/sup]

@button Great video and you kept it entertaining! Insane what you and others can do. Thank you to your chest, and the cat and drone cameos!

Looking forward to a future video where you showcase the more difficult push-ups ;D

@button Saw I had an award to give away, it ended up with you. Hopefully the algoz recognize it and pushes the post onwards and upwards.🤙

@button Man this is amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. As a beginner it’s so overwhelming looking at all the information these subs can throw at you. I appreciate how easy and clear you made this especially with video links on how to do the exercises. I’ve been trying my best to fit workouts in when and where I can and this is going to help so much.

THANK YOU