Folks who workout twice a day, what does your life look like on a daily basis?

@heegar I get up at 4:30, eat, shower, feed my dogs then go to the gym at 5:30am till 7:30am Mon-Fri then to work as a mailman walking 20+ km a day from 8:30am - 3pm.

After work I take my 3 large dogs for a hike everyday where I wear a 50lb ruck anywhere from 5-10km then come home and cook and clean up.

On weekends I do whatever, go for a bike ride, look for cool shit at flea markets, do some stretching or have a nap.

I also set aside 1 hour to read a book everyday, with the tv and phone turned off and only after that is all done can I watch tv or play on my phone or PlayStation.

For reference I’m 49 years old and this has been my weekly routine for about 6 years now.

@heegar On days where I work from home (twice a week) I throw in a quick 30 minute easy run during my lunch break. And then I lift after work.

It let's me squeeze in an extra 2 running sessions a week. So it'll generally look like:

M - lunch run, lift

Tu - tempo run

W - lunch run, lift

Th - sprint work

Fr - lifting

Sat - long run

Sun - lift only

@heegar Wake up at 5 to run

After work normally bike or swim
On a Saturday it's long run in the morning and then swim in the afternoon
Sunday is long bike and then run straight off

@heegar My days realllyy vary because I have 2 kids and a husband who just went back to work. But every day I make sure I get one “workout” in (3 days a week I run, 3 days strength training, 1 rest day) but I always prioritize moving outside of working out. I walk multiple times a day and get between 8-12k steps every day. I stretch and do some meditative yoga. I’m doing couch to 5k right now and I feel the same, that I can be doing more with my days that I only do the program so I often do yoga those days too.

@heegar Wow. This thread makes me feel like I'm slacking. I wonder how people have the mental strength to gogogo.

I've been struggling between balancing full-time work (OT for the past 5 months), full-time school, building skills, and fun activities with friends (which includes a lot of travel time). It's been rough, and I find myself mentally exhausted all the time. We just got some help at work, so I'm back to normal hours, and I don't have to be in super early. It's freed up a lot of my time. I just started riding my bicycle to and from work and walking a bit. Before, I was doing 20-minute workouts at home when I could. Also, hiking, bike riding, and off-road motoing on weekends. I'd like to get a more solid plan in and be on top of it like some of these people.

@detroit313 To be honest, it sounds like you've already got a lot on your plate, whereas people who workout twice a day have a bit more time or different priorities than you. I say this as someone who's been in your shoes but now is able to find the time to workout twice on most days. Don't feel bad about what you're not doing, feel proud about every else you are doing! Getting more bike rides and walks like you're describing is really good already.

@heegar I’m married, have one kid and have an in person job. Some mornings I do an at home workout, calisthenics, or some no reformer Pilates. My job is across the street from the start of a 10 mile trail, so I do about 2 or 3 miles on there 99% of my weekdays at lunch. I only don’t in heavy rain or snow. I live close by so I do other parts of the trail on weekends sometimes also. Then after work, indoor cycling, a lazy after dinner walking pad session, barre, or hiit and always a weight session. So basically, I workout either before work or after work and do a hike during my workday. On weekends it’s a longggg walk or hike and light weights.

@heegar I'm single, with a cat, and work from home. I'm fortunate that my hours are flexible, but normally are about 10AM-7PM every day. I get up about 8:00 AM(I should say the cat gets me up...sometimes earlier depending on how hungry she is, lol...I don't even need an alarm at this point since she gets me up before it goes off every day) and get in a 45-60 minute ride on my spin bike before breakfast. When I get off work between 6-7 PM I go right into my home gym and get my lifting in, or if it's a "rest day" I'll do a 30 minute recovery ride. I find it's great to go right to the workout from work since I've been on a computer most of the day and it gives me a nice break from screen time.

I'll usually do about a 30 minute walk at some point during the day, where I just go outside and walk around the neighborhood until I hit my 2 miles. I'm a bit of a night owl so bedtime is normally between 12-1, or earlier if I'm feeling tired. Weekends I kind of make it a point to be active outside of the gym time, so hiking, go on longer walks, skiing in the winter, etc.

@heegar I think lifting twice a day is excessive. I do break out things like heavy lifting and everything else into two sessions as time provides. A lot of times for me is lift in the morning. Bike, run, walk, abs or other home based things before dinner. But I only lift about 45 mins and do the other about 20-45. So I’m still not going much over 60-90 mins a day

@heegar I wake up at 0700ish

In the gym by 0715 - mostly for running at the moment, otherwise some kind of easy conditioning

Out at 0800 for shower and family time

Work at 0900

Finish work at 1715ish

Gym by 1730 - lifting if lifting day, some form of conditioning otherwise

Out by 1845 in lifting days, by 1800 on conditioning days- shower and family time

Bed between 2200 and 2300

Two caveats to this though, I work from home and my gym is in the garage. If I had to commute to a gym I'd get kettlebells/sandbags for conditioning on non lifting days and run on the street in the mornings to minimise travel time

@heegar Unmarried but partnered, don't have kids, work from home, lift weights in the morning, do some cardio/conditioning in the evening, try to get lots of steps during breaks in between if I can. It helps that most days I work less than 8 hours and can take care of minor things at home, even if sporadic 10-12 hour days and travel for work gets in the way sometimes. I try to do something active and outside on Saturdays and have HEMA and D&D on Sunday (yeah, I'm a big nerd). My sleep is pretty good, I'm on a cut rn and it's going... fine but not as fast as I'd like. I have to modulate the intensity of my workout(s) and sometimes my calories based on how wrecked I'm feeling, but have a general sense of what I need to feel ok. Prioritize sleep shooting for 8 hours a night, meaning more than 8 hours in bed.

If you wanna start adding in additional workouts, start slow. 30-40 mins along with couch to 5k should be fine, but I might instead adding some strength or resistance training instead; check out the bodyweight fitness routine here.

@heegar 340am wake up. 20 minutes of coffee. 20 minute Peloton ride, 100 push ups, squats, dips, lunges, and pull ups. Whatever time left until 6am is walking on treadmill. 6am-330 I’m working (including drive, getting ready, and working) 330-5 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I lift along with walk my dogs. Tuesday and Thursday I will run 30-40 minutes then walk dogs. Saturday and Sunday I run for half an hour and walk dogs. I have no kids. Married

Back