garmin vivoactive 5 vs 4 for gym workouts

taratorit

I've been looking at getting a garmin vivoactive 4 for while and I can get a used one for $166 USD when converted from my local currency. But now I see the vivoactive 5 is out so I wonder if it'd be worth the price to go for the one with newer sensors. I do primarily strength training in the gym so I'm wondering if the 5 has any significant improvements on that front that will be worth the extra money. Has anyone who previously had the 4 upgraded to the 5 who can advise me on if the 5 is worth it?

@taratorit What do you think either of those can meaningfully measure for gym workouts?

Sport watches are great for things like running or biking where the tracking of speed, bpm, heart rate, etc is meaningful, but that's not the case for lifting.

@taratorit It's just a tool with margins of error like every other tool. They aren't at the stage yet where they can accurately track caloric expenditure at the end of the workout. No matter what tool you use, you're going to have inaccuracies. That doesn't mean they're not useful. Consider this; if you're trying to lose weight figure out your BMR, go -500 cals off of that and you'll start to drop weight as long as you stay consistent and disciplined. Don't rely on the watch numbers no matter the brand or version. Get a smart watch for a smart watch, not a fitness tracker. If you still believe you need the fitness tracker then honestly a fitbit is just as useful as the more expensive watches.

Back