Shoutout to the confident gym girls!

@fg2002 You got this! Been wanting to and finally did. honestly i love every moment of it when i leave. because i’m amazed that i constantly go through with it.

@brothergee I’m a woman and have been lifting for almost 10 years now so I’m comfy out there but there’s def still days I feel awkward or like I’m not fit enough/strong enough to be out there confidently. And if anything I love seeing new women show up at the gym and put in effort. It makes me feel a weird sense of pride even if we never talk or anything. So I hope you stick with it cause it’s worth it!

@brothergee Literally the only thing holding you back is yourself. Go out there and BE that girl you want to be!

I am 100% sure those girls have:

Talked to a trainer when they were not sure how to use the equipment

Felt uncomfortable with how they look

Have had days when they just feel gross and don't want to work out

Felt self conscious

They are YOU, except they're pushing past their brain telling them they're not that girl. Get out there!!

@brothergee It's awkward at first, but with time, you'll gain that confidence. You can always take some weights over to the less crowded stretching area that most gyms have and do your thing over there until you feel more comfortable. It helps! I always secretly hope that my "idgaf" attitude helps other women who are still trying to gain confidence.

@brothergee I was definitely shy in the gym when I started but now I know how to use the equipment and say hello to people I see regularly. It's a good feeling taking up space doing something I enjoy when previously I thought I couldn't. Keep going!

@gracetemple1000 I’ve been going for 3 years and the only people I say hi too are the darling cleaning lady and the staff (except for the guy who was a jerk to me a while ago, i purposely pretend he doesn’t exist because i’m petty).

I see tons of the same people every day but I don’t have any desire to talk to them. Gym time is my only ME time. Even when i’m at home its me and my doggo time or me and my boyfriend time or me and getting adulting shit done to be a productive member or society-time.

@brothergee Thats so funny that you started with group classes because I started with solo activities! I always looked longingly at the group but I had so much nerves about being the worst one in a group that it took me YEARS to work up the courage. Always different perspectives to every situation!

@heythereterry This is me. When i’m alone, i’m in a bubble. I have every right to glare at anyone who looks at me or confront someone who has an opinion.

But in a group setting, we’d all have to be watching each other. Sometimes looking at ourselves AND each other in a mirror. The super confident ones in the front, the ones who want to hide or came late in the back. The coach or trainer shouting adjustments and pointing out mistakes. They always say “try it this way if the regular movement is too hard” and then everyone looks around like “FOR WHOM IS THIS TOO HARD WHAT A WEAKLING LOSER!”

Or i envy how someone looks in their cute workout fit or how they dont jiggle in this or that place when they do this or that movement.

Even doing home workouts with a video with a group on the screen who i cant even interact with, i still compare myself to them and feel worse.

@leemeadow This is so true.

I’ve been going to the gym and/or working out in some form for around 30 years now (yikes that makes me sound old, I’m only in my mid 40s). I am confident now but it took me a while. I was only thinking about it the other day when I went up to a section in the gym with a group of guys and asked if they could pass me some equipment I needed (they were inadvertently blocking it). I would NEVER have done that when I was younger, I would have been way too intimidated. I would have found another exercise to do and waited for them to move. These days? Nope. I’ll do what I want, with the equipment I need, where I want.

@bab I’m a gym newbie at only 6 months of going (28F) and because I’m short (5’3”) I usually need someone to lower the incline leg press machine for me. It’a a plate loaded one and afterwards you lock it with your legs extended. I usually just need it one lock lower, but I can’t do it myself because my toes can’t even touch it :p makes me feel awkward as hell but everyone’s really nice and it’s kind of a funny moment.

@keithrils Last week I was taking turns with a tall guy we agreed to work our sets in between eachother, he didn't realise at first when he left something out of reach but after he made sure to adjust everything for me, guy looks like Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans love child, he maxed out the leg press machine with ease..

Back