Genetics aren’t what you think they are

@dawn16 Here's the deal with genetics... It's what separates the elite bodybuilders from the professional-but-not-amazing bodybuilders because all of those guys are busting their asses and have their shit dialed in.

If you have someone that's truly blessed with genetics, then maybe they can be someone who gets an amazing physique (by normie standards) without putting in the effort/consistency/etc. that 99% of people would have to put in to look like that. But for the vast majority of people, their physique isn't determined by genetics. It's determined by habits.

Genetics, for the most part, when we're talking about bodybuilding, refers to 2 things:
  1. Your body's response to anabolics and your body's ability to handle larger doses of anabolics without falling apart
    1. This is the biggest thing with non-natty bodybuilders, and it has absolutely nothing to do with how most people use "genetics." If your body handles steroids really well, you can see massive gains on them without having significant side effects. That's best case. For natties, this is largely irrelevant (though it might be slightly related to how easily you can put on muscle without steroids as well, but that's a small difference amongst most people).
  2. Muscle/tendon attachments
    1. This is huge for people who are actually competing. Some people just have really great (or really bad) attachments for certain muscles. If you've got biceps that have a huge gap between the muscle belly and the forearm, that's never going to fill in. Sorry, it's just not. It might make your bicep peaks look fucking awesome, but your biceps are never going to fill up that whole space.
If you don't have a 6-pack, it's not because you "have shitty genetics." It's because you haven't put in the work (be it exercising or diet or whatever) to have a 6-pack. If you're skinny with small muscles, it isn't because you "have shitty genetics." It's because you either aren't working hard enough and/or because you aren't eating enough. If someone has an awesome physique, it probably isn't because they're blessed with good genetics. It's because they have all of the habits that people "with shitty genetics" are lacking.

@marisela not true the last part. i know a guy whos similar weight to me (he is lighter but hes also like 4-5cm shorter) he has perfect 8 pack big and broad chest and back while Ive got a 4 pack and a half a big ass chest gap short biceps triceps delts any muscle you can think of is short (i still do around the same weight as him except for back but i look like shit) . you cant say i dont train better because i do. keeping reps below 15 and no more than 2 sets near failure or to failure per exercise and 2 exercises per muscle keeping fatigue low(if i do more i cant recover yet another genetically dependent point) and i rest well and even rest when i feel i need rest even if its not a rest day in my program. yet hes growing (his 3rd year of training) by doing 20-50 muscle ups and couple hundred pull ups per back workout while maintaining his 8% bf again perfect 8 pack and all that whereas if i overtrain or undertrain just a bit or dont eat in an excess of 100-300 calories with min 120g of protein i lose muscle mass and strength.

@dawn16 Just say thank you and move on, it’s a compliment from most people and jealousy/cope from the rest.

Ranting about your hard work just makes you seem fragile, it’s also not that hard to consistently eat well and train hard, most people in this sub would say it’s the best part of their day.

@gracefortoday This [sup][sup]^[/sup][/sup]

"Genetics" as a catch all have probably more of an impact than any other individual factor on your physique. But you cannot change them, so all of your attention should be on the things you can control (training, sleep, diet)

@gracefortoday My problem is less about ACTUAL genetics, and people scapegoating genetics. I've been working out for 15 years or so, and just recently cut down to ~12-15%bf, and a couple of my friends who are...I guess more "athletic" than your average dude (bike 2 - 4 times a week, don't eat completely ridiculously, get enough sleep...) comment how lucky I am for my genetics. They don't realize how I do IF, train 4 - 6 times a week with great intensity, or that REALLY a lot of what I'm able to show off now was actually there, but is now visible from losing that 5 - 8% bf that I did this past year. They just think I wake up, maybe pop a handful of pushups, grab a bowl of cereal and off I go for the day looking not super far off competition-level aesthetically, then call it "good genetics" is why I look like I do vs how they look.

@gracefortoday No, but it requires a perfect understanding of every cellular system to the point of being able to look at the DNA sequence and perfectly predicting phenotype. That level of understanding is not realistically achievable.

@gracefortoday Body type (ectomorph, mesomorph, etc), and natural testosterone levels are 2 glaring examples where genes will absolutely play a role. But I agree that it's a waste of time thinking about them. I also have friends with low testosterone that look great and have some amazing lifts.

Back