Golfers Elbow Just As I Was Getting Back Into It

@harmonmarie Not OP, but had the same problem. I had to do very light-weight wrist curls and extensions. 2Kg. This was when I was in office. And regularly that wrist warm-ups in the RR routine.

@harmonmarie I do kettle bell lifts.

Two hands on one bell, back of hands facing forward.

Rest near your junk and lift straight forward so your arms are both forward and parallel with your body.

Lower back down to your junk and then do a couple sets of that.

Start off very low weight to try it out and see what you think. It targets the wrist flexor group going up to your elbow, and as it gets stronger you stop having tennis elbow.

Most exercises for this area will give you tennis elbow since it’s hard to target that group. But this one targets it without putting too much stress on it.

Heres a video worth watching about tennis elbow

@harmonmarie I had this appear painfully and suddenly when I added climbing and more ring work to my routine. "Tyler twists" with the theraband flexbar were (and still are) a magic cure-all for me.

@harmonmarie I know this is a 8 months old post so it's ok if you don't feel like answering, but how are you doing now, 8 months later? I started having golfer's elbow for the first time in my life. I suspect because I was putting too much stress on the fingers while pulling myself up doing pull ups.

@harmonmarie When I had distal biceps tendonitis from pull-ups I could still do isometric holds (i.e. holding a pull-up in the 90° elbows bent position), biceps curls and inverted rows. This allowed me to build up my strength to a point where I can almost do a single arm pull-up without actually doing pull-ups.

@sarangapani Nice. Dunno about inverted rows, but yeah sounds like my calisthenics park workouts will be lots of hanging, brachiation, and rows. Throughout the day at home, spam cable work.

@harmonmarie took a few months to cure mine: my PT had me do 10 sets of 3 eccentric-only pullups on rings.

So I'd jump up and lower myself, and repeat. She said to go as slow as possible while lowering myself each rep.

it's been 3 years and I am doing full weighted pullups (currently with 55 lbs) and the golfer's elbow has not returned.

Not going to say it will work for everyone, but it did for me, and this was after 6 months or so of going to different PT and trying all the usual approaches (manual therapy, those flex bars, eccentric wrist curls, etc).

@harmonmarie I'm dealing with another bout of this now. I learned I can't do pull ups, palm forward, has to be chin ups, palm angled in towards me. Once in a while I get cocky, as I did a few months back, and try pull ups, and I'm still fighting it now, to the point where I'm going to have to take time off a lot of back workouts, which is very frustrating.

Someone mentioned false pullups. I'll try those, as I feel I've tried everything else, and nothing seems to work other than not doing back for months, and then very slowly working back up to the weighted chin ups and heavy one arm rows I normally do. It's frustrating for sure.