Mark Rippetoe's chin-up protocol for fixing Golfers Elbow

@sannya Definitely gotta try it, it doesn't contradict what I've read so far about healing Golfer's Elbow from Overcoming Tendinitis so if 2 knowledgeable persons support the idea and we got anecdotal experience from people saying it works, then it hardly is some lie.

@sannya Well, I will be trying this out over the next month. Like many on here, I have a GE that's been pretty stubborn to therapy/healing. I got it via climbing, chin-ups, and then doing something stupid with a wrench and improper torque (but the latter is the perfect example of how my muscle strength exceeded my tendon's). I hurt it back in July and started off with rest, then with some research, proceeded to light eccentric stuff, rotations with a hammer, tyler twist, etc. Then went to heavier weights with eccentrics, bought an Armaid too. Also started working the agonist muscles. It's all helped, but I haven't regained pain-free ROM under stress. So at the 5-6-month mark I'm concerned about a longterm tendinopathy and never correctly healing.

The mechanics of the Rippletoe protocol does make sense. So, like the author, I'm giving it a go with a sense of "I have nothing to flippin' lose anyway". I've also read Steven Low's protocol...and virtually everything else on the webs 😋 I saw an Ortho too.

Today I did 15 sets of eccentric chin-ups. For the first 10 sets I did 3; for the last 5 sets I did 2 reps, like a 4-5 second count. It definitely hurts, and very aggravated, but that's the plan, I guess. My initial thought is that if you're not someone who could handle 10-15 strict pull-ups before getting hurt, you might want to do a regression/modification.

Anyone else have success with this? Need a mental bump here lol

@praen4you Hey mate, I have pretty much beaten it since I made this post, however it will occasionally ache after a heavy squat session or heavy rows and then will be back to normal within a day. I would keep at it and see how it turns out, you will be surprised how quickly you notice it working, the extra blood flow does wonders.

@sannya Thanks, man. That's very encouraging because your post is only.2 months old and that's not a long time for a tendon injury. If I may: how much time did you separate with your sets; no icing, right? I'd assume the inflammation is necessary in this case as a signal to heal. I just have to have this thing sorted out by mountain bike season this spring! 😫

@praen4you No worries! I pretty much took one minute breaks between sets and did 15 sets of 3, but you basically just want to do an amount that’s not too hard where you won’t be struggling on the last rep. And yeah I didn’t ice or do anything else really, maybe a little hard massaging every so often but that was all.

@sannya So I did two rounds. I focused on the eccentric, skipping the concentric portion. Very much aggravated my elbow, but the next day I woke up and it felt great. It defied all logic. I waited a few days and by day 4 I could sense a little bit of aggravation coming back. I did it a second round and the following day it wasn’t feeling that great. So I backed off. I’m thinking maybe I should continue giving this a chance. Was your experience similar? Now I'm back to the regular annoying dull ache with intermittent aggravations

@praen4you I would say give it a good 3 or 4 workouts and you will start to feel heaps better. Just work through the pain a little, the extra inflammation around your elbow will do wonders for the tendon.

@sannya I got golfer's elbow either from sleeping wrong or doing high rep burpee routines. How effective would this be if I didn't get it from pulling? I'm guessing I just apply this, but replace chin-ups with push ups?

@sannya I’m purely just doing the eccentric phase (jumping up to ignore concentric) for the same amount of reps / days and will let you know of my progress. Have been dealing with golfer’s elbow for years due to me being so obsessive about working out and doing all these crazy athletic things.

Back