How can I afford meals?

americandeist

Hey y'all, As some of you are probably very familiar with, I'm a broke college student. I already put quite literally nearly every penny to my name towards food and a gym membership but I'm struggling to hit my calorie in take every day (A good day is when I do).I've been doing well meal prepping and am trying to stick to that. But DESPERATELY NEED HELP FINDING MEALS AND BUDGET CHEATS to be able to afford to eat more. I like sticking to chicken as much as possible and even willing looking at eating "drywall" mixes (just not sea food). For produce and meat I like pitching in for better quality stuff but am dying with paying for consistency each day.I find what I can at Winco and buy as little from the market as I can.What cheats did y'all discover to help save money on bulking/meal prepping?

Edit: For more context, I'm eating eggs, whole wheat toast, and "Simply Potatoes" hash browns for breakfast. fair sized portion of pasta (usually with chicken or sausage when I can). and dinner is pretty random as to what I have and can have, sometimes just more pasta. As snacks I get ~500 calorie granola cookie bars and try to get at least two of those a day between meals. I don't have protein powder(can't afford) and rely on those granola cookies and chocolate milk after each workout. Protein powder is high on my list, I'm just paying for my actual food and rent and bills so it's challenging.

@americandeist DRY BEANS.

Beans are amazing. Legumes are incredible for you and scientifically tied to longevity. They’re also stupid cheap, high in protein and fiber, and extremely easy to make. Did I mention they’re delicious?

Buying dry instead of canned will save you a stupid amount of money and they’re easy to cook yourself.

I’d highly recommend buying an instant pot to facilitate cooking but any pot will probably work.

The holy trinity of beans, rice, and meat can get you through the harshest of times and also be super good for you.

If you’re not eating beans you are sleeping hard on one of the most nutritious and calorie rich foods there is.

@bobwhite i hear you on the beans.

towards the end of my cut, was making a bean stew and having that with grilled chicken for lunch

now im on a surplus, ive been using refried beans (canned) with rice and chicken and oh my it is my favourite meal of the day!

i've been meaning to make my own refried beans as the canned stuff is expensive AF

@doks so true us clean eaters ARE USE TO MINIMAL WHICH KEEPS US CLEAN,,CHIC BREAST VEGGIES NO BUTTER JUST PEPPER AND PROTEIN DRINKS FOR ME I HAVE TO STAY MINIMAL AND CLAN AS I CAN I HAVE DIABETES ASWELL AS EATTING CLEAN ALL MY LIFE FOR HEALTH! SO DIABETES IS EVEN MORE STRICT IM DOWN TO LEAVES WATER SOME BRO RICE OATMEAL THIS IS MY SHOPPING LIST ALMOND MILK SOMETHING EVERY WEEK I MIGHT THROW IN SOME POTATO SALAD JUST A LITTLE SOMETIMES BUT EATING CLEAN IS EXPENSIVE BUT GET THE CHEAPEST FOODS AND STAY EATING CLEAN YOUR BODY AND HEALTH WILL THANKYOU AS YOU GET OLDER SO NEVER STOOP DOING WHATS GOOD FOR YOU! I RATHER HAVE MINIMAL FOODS THAN A BUNCH OF BAD GARBAGE THAT WILL END UP GIVING ME CANCER AND GETTING ME SICK I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT WATER IN MY HOME FOR YEARS NO MATTER HOW POOR I AM I STILL EAT AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE SO NO EXCUSES ONE TIME I DIDNT HAVE MUCH AND I THOUGH I COULD EAT THOSE OGK NOOLES I GOT SICK BS WENT TO THE ROOF NEVER AGAIN! IF I HAD DIRT IN MY BACK YARD I WOULD GROW MY OWN VEGGIES!!! LOOK AT SOME OF THE NOMAD VIDEOS THEY GROW THEIR OWN AND EAT NOTHING BUT STIRFYED VEGGIES RICE BUT U SHOULD BRO RICE NOMADS ON YOUTUBE GAVE ME ALOT OF IDEAS!

Back