How can I afford meals?

@americandeist Walmart and Aldi both carry 85/15 burger patties for about $10. Works out to $3.33 a lb for 84g. This is one of my staples. You can brown it just like any other beef for a variety of recipes. I like to do a couple browned with eggs. I use it to make breakfast tacos.

@americandeist Oils are the easiest way to hit your caloric goals. I'd try looking at "stealth_health_life" on Instagram for recipe ideas. Anything I've made from his page didn't seem to break the bank to make. They are protein focused meals as well. Good luck.

Also to add to that recommendation, he tries to make his recipes low calorie. So I'd recommend substituting the low calorie food to the higher calorie food. For example 2% milk for whole milk.

@americandeist Buy a bag of unflavored protein from bulksupplements.com. It’s crazy cheap there. Flavor it with cocoa powder and sugar (I’d recommend stevia but it’s expensive).

Chicken thighs and legs regularly go on sale for $0.79 a pound near me. Also, for both protein and a ton of nutrients, chicken livers are very cheap. At my local food lion they are $1.27 a pound without a sale.

I’d also recommend lentils, beans, cheese, and peanut butter for some supplementary protein sources that are calorie dense. Frozen vegetables are a good way to get in additional micronutrients. Bananas are also very cheap.

@americandeist Don't waste your money on any kind of fast food, home-cooked meals are the way to go. Red kidney beans are a cheap source of protein/calories. If you're desperate, left-over buckets at KFC may be an option. There are also websites that put buyers and supermarkets together that are about to throw away food (because it's about to expire) - it's a great way to save 50% on your groceries. Perhaps there is a similar program in your area?

@americandeist I feel you bro. My semester’s beating my ass rn so i’m not actively looking for a job the only reason i even still have savings is because i’m trying to lose weight. My grocery bill is has almost halved because of that. I can’t think of any bulking hacks except for peanut butter and trail mix but i’m sure you can find some on youtube, tiktok, instagram. That’s where i get all my high volume foods

@americandeist I used to, and soon will do again, oat meals.

Also did it in the blender, to make a drinkable shake.

Oatmeal, milk, a banana orbsome other fruits.

Got everything, protein, fibers, some sugar. Lot's of calories.

If anyone disagrees, please reply, i want to learn.

@americandeist Some great ideas on this list. I'll add I worked part time as a cook in college and it's saved me on food costs.

Many places give you food, or at least a steep discount, during your shift. I would personally eat a meal on shift and was allowed to take home any thing already cooked/warmed that was leftover at the end of the night. We always had several already warmed burgers and chicken breasts and I would pack those up to get me through the next day or two.

It's outside the box but on a tight budget it was great for me.

@americandeist Look for your local restaurant supply store. I get 40lbs of chicken breast for $1.83/lb. You might need to find someone who’s a member to take advantage of those prices. You Can also get large bags of any legumes for cheap. Restaurant depot if there’s one near you.

Back