How do you keep energised at work without surgery snacks when dieting?

@daniel94 https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news...nates-protection-against-obesity-and-diabetes

Gut bacteria is approaching common knowledge now, do a quick google search if you’re curious.

My layperson terminology might not be precise, but I have had a college course in microbiology, and it doesn’t matter if I know the name of the exact bacteria or not, it is enough to know they exist.

It’s not even new information, I attended a symposium 5 years ago full of medical doctors talking about gut bacteria.

Honestly there are so many podcasts with doctors and books by doctors talking about gut bacteria now that I’m surprised you think it’s nonsense.

@mrferguson I don’t think it’s nonsense. I just think people in this thread have a little knowledge and make a lot of statements.

The macronutrient requirements for mice are different than the requirements for people. The amount of sugars that negatively alter a mouse’s guy micro biome could be perfectly fine for humans. I don’t really think a single study in mice is enough to make any sweeping claims from. Some research in humans would be great

@divinity3 I get some raw or blanched unslated nuts and either fresh fruit or dried (unsweetened) fruit to have as a snack if I feel like I need something. Usually does the trick.

I portion then out in advance. Usually a 1/8 c or so of nuts, and a serving or so of the fruit. I try to keep it 200-300 calories.

Other options would be some fat free cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with some nuts or fruit in it. Aim for unsweetened yogurt if that's the route you go

@divinity3 Practice intermittent fasting. A cup of coffee and/or tea plus chugging water helps to maintain the sanity and satiety until breaking the fast.

If you can afford time to meal prep then you can nuke the food while on a conference call. Or snack on high protein alternatives such as a protein bar.

@odddlycrunchy 100% agree on the fasting. The moment I start feeling dependent on sugar again, I start fasting. After a few days of 16:8 the sugar cravings subside and my energy levels normalise. You’ll definitely go through a withdrawal phase for a few days though which isn’t great. In my anecdotal experience, a 48 hour water-only fast will very quickly kill energy dependence on sugar.

Edit: wow, surprised by all the downvotes, would be nice to know why people are so against fasting here.

@divinity3 op, eliminate sugar from your diet. also minimize bread and alcohol. track calories and macronutrients. increase protein, reduce carbs and fat. keep doing your intermittent fasting even if it’s only 12:12. add cardio and yoga to your strength training. i walk on the weekends and try to get in a bicycle ride with family when i can. it’s hard but possible.

@divinity3 Carbonated Water was magical at 3am when I was working graveyard. I got a Sodastream, and use single serve Crystal Lite type powders. 0 calories, no extra sugar and super cheap.

@divinity3 Boba Tea Protein shakes have just enough caffeine to keep me energized and protein to fill me up for breakfast and lunch. I enjoy jasmine, matcha, Vietnamese coffee, mango green tea, and lychee oolong the most. Non caffeinated ones I recommend are taro and strawberry hibiscus.