How do you keep energised at work without surgery snacks when dieting?

@04tro4108 It literally isn't hunger. The energy boost from suger = me working 2-3x faster, better, etc.

But you are right - it would be better to up protein in my meals and perhaps calories a bit higher when I have lots of work.

@divinity3 Spent a good two minutes wondering what specific snacks are allowed during surgery that you can also eat at an office. Lol.

Sugary. OP I eat an insane amount of fruits.

@divinity3 My office is a little different it's mobile, but what works best for me is the workout, when I first started I was sluggish etc, once I pushed through it got better for me. That being said protein and fruit work better for me than sugar did, and strong coffee however I wait min 45 min after waking before grabbing that first cup, I start work at 5am so it took some getting used too. If I feel slow in the afternoon I grab a hard-boiled egg or some trail mix just be careful with nuts and your calorie intake

@divinity3 You need sugar because you’ve trained your body to need it

It’s

Called

A

Sugar

High

You don’t have a physically demanding job, but a mentally demanding one

Your brains craving sugar because you trained it to use sugar when it lacks energy

@divinity3 Look into whole30 or something similar. If you can’t maintain good constant energy from normal foods there’s a decent chance you need to do a reset here and retrain your body to find energy elsewhere. Also, sugar is highly addictive, don’t kid yourself, your body sounds addicted.

Other things to focus on: sleep, excercise, water consumption.

I used to crash a lot in the afternoons, turns out I was just eating poorly.

@undergodsmercytoo I think the reality is just being at a calorie deficit is the issue... but I need to lose weight.

Addiction isn't an issue. I had a set routine for 2+ months where I have not been craving suger. I am eating at a calorie deficit (about it 400 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner, 300 milk for coffee/tea and a snack) and then alternating running 5k and the strength training.

If work is light - I can cope. I am sluggish, a bit foggier, in comparison, but I can cope. The problem is when I have a busy period, deadlines, complicated pieces of work, etc. I struggle. That is when I reach for something surgery for an energy boost to concentrate, work quicker and get through it.

@divinity3
  1. Dieting doesn’t work. You need to have a healthy diet that you can maintain year round.
  2. You have an addiction. The sooner you admit that the sooner you can overcome it.
  3. Fruit (not juice) is the healthiest option. Stop eating sugary snacks for a while and apples and bananas will start tasting like candy.
  4. Track your macros. Fruits still have a lot of carbs and calories and you’ll want to know your intake.

@dawn16 Being at a calorie deficit is the issue... but I need to lose weight.

Unfortunately, addiction isn't an issue. I had a set routine for 2+ months where I have not been craving suger. I am eating at a calorie deficit (about it 400 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner, 300 milk for coffee/tea and a snack) and then alternating running 5k and the strength training.

If work is light - I can cope. I am sluggish, a bit foggier, but I can cope. The problem is when I have a busy period, deadlines, complicated pieces of work, etc. I struggle. That is when I reach for something surgery for an energy boost to concentrate, work quicker and get through it.

@divinity3 Then eat the sugar you want/need and remove the calories from one of your other meals or snacks. Or be on a smaller deficit. Or none at all.

Using refined sugar is a terrible way to get through sluggishness that is caused by a calorie deficit. You could possibly still lose weight that way, but at the expense of your overall health. You’ll likely become deficient in something important.

There are no secrets or magic bullets, losing weight takes time. Trying to do it too fast can have unintended consequences.

I still say the best solution is to try different fruits. At least then your getting some vitamins and fiber.

@divinity3 I intermittent fast by skipping lunch. No energy crash, no unmanageable hunger pangs. I'll have a splash of cream or oat milk in my coffee but that's it. It's pretty easy most days.

@divinity3 You’re insulin resistant. It means you’re not metabolically flexible, and likely on your way to NAFLD and ultimately type 2 diabetes.

Look up a book called Glucose Revolution by Jessie Inchauspe.

@divinity3 Coffee and fasting for me.

I wake up early and do strength training, go to work, come home and have a big steak with butter and eggs.

Have tons of energy, laser focus and no distracting hunger.

@divinity3 Could you substitute for coffee? maybe it ends up being less harmful. And then, you must check that the diet allows you to maintain energy, especially at work time, which is where you should be most alert.

@divinity3 You need to break the “sugar burning” cycle and kill off your sugar craving gut bacteria

After a period of detox, you can go between breakfast, lunch, and dinner with very few snacks. And when you need a snack, have almonds and an apple (fruit sugar hits your body different than processed sugar).

Your insulin will do a better job of regulating your blood sugar when you switch to burning fat from burning sugar, as you won’t have the blood sugar spikes and valleys. You’ll be more evenly clear headed for longer.

Good luck