How do you keep energised at work without surgery snacks when dieting?

@divinity3 I starting intermittent fasting and skip breakfast. My first meal is at noon.

I've noticed that since doing this, my body is fine with "being hungry" and I actually feel more alert. A sugary snack just ups my glucose and I feel drowsy... and I prefer to avoid sugar and snacks in general.

Maybe try IF and having your body adapt to not expect a spike in glucose. Just don't snack.

@divinity3 This post is hilarious.

“Surgery” snacks.

“Demanding office work”

I work in an office after years of busting my ass doing more physical work. Office work is so nice lol.

It sounds to me like you need to space your calories out better. Are you eating breakfast? How often are you getting up and walking around when you start feeling lethargic?

Also how is your sleep? Are you get 7+ a night?

@bobwhite
This post is hilarious.

“Surgery” snacks.

“Demanding office work”

I work in an office after years of busting my ass doing more physical work. Office work is so nice lol.

Indeed. Try being a hospital doctor and not sitting down or drinking or peeing for 12 hours. "Surgery" snacks indeed.

Busy? Demanding? Haha. People are hilarious.

@bobwhite By demanding I mean I have to help develop/scope a strategy/plan/projects/proposals for how 10,000 plus organisations and the public sector works together in new and innovative ways and influencing the use millions of pounds of funding. Longstanding issues that has no easy answers and requires a lot of new research, understanding various viewpoints, articulating them in a way to influence different audiences to work differently, etc. all when we are facing huge challenges.

When it doing something like the above across multiple different areas - yes it can be hard to concentrate/think of something in a new way. Suger seems to help me when I need to do something like this.

I've had a set routine for 2+ months. I am eating at a calorie deficit (about 400 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner, 300 milk for coffee/tea and a snack) and then alternating days of running 5k and the strength training.

If work is light - I can cope. I am sluggish, a bit foggier, but I can cope. The problem is when it is demanding - that is when I reach for something surgery for an energy boost to concentrate, work quicker and get through it.

I do move about every 1hr or so (i.e. just walk downstairs and upstairs, etc. to get water/coffee, etc.) and tend to sleep 6 hrs (at which point I naturally wake up.

@divinity3 I’ve been where you are, especially when I was transitioning from a physical labor position to a being in an office more. You have to work to get away from sugar. It can be difficult, but once you’ve stayed away from it long enough you don’t really want it anymore, especially once you start to feel better. I always just remind myself how terrible it makes me feel. You have to exercise your discipline.
As for the work hours/routine thing, it’s also about discipline. I have to be at work at 6, so (after a couple years of training myself to do this) I get up at 3:30 am to have time to sip my coffee, journal, and get in some yoga or cardio or something. I get home around 5 or so, and a few times a week I get in some strength training, but sometimes it does get pushed to the weekend if I’m too physically/mentally exhausted after work, or haven’t had time to eat enough. All that being said, the working out part has been the easiest, but my diet has taken way more discipline to manage. Start with healthier options and work your way up from there.

@norse Unfortunately, discipline isn't the issue as I've had a set routine for 2+ months. I am eating at a calorie deficit (about it 400 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner, 300 milk for coffee/tea and a snack) and then alternating running 5k and the strength training.

If work is light - I can cope. I am sluggish, a bit foggier, but I can cope. The problem is when I have a busy period, deadlines, complicated pieces of work, etc. I struggle. That is when I reach for something surgery for an energy boost to concentrate, work quicker and get through it.

@divinity3 Have fruit instead, or yogurt with a bit of maple syrup (or fruity yogurt). It can fulfill the same function as candy or whatever. Watermelon is nice for that because it's quite sweet. Even instant oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar is a good one - it has lots of carbs and still has healthful elements. A little sugar is fine and won't kill you - you don't need to totally eliminate sugar from your diet. We all know added sugar isn't good for you, but some of the comments here are not really reasonable given your intense work schedule right now.

When it's no longer crunch time, you can try out some of the other recommendations or have even healthier snacks - but go easy on yourself when your schedule is like this! We only have a finite amount of willpower during the day.

@divinity3 Caffeine, 10-15 minute walks a few times a day, stretching. On top of this your nutritional intake is probably off if you're that tired while cutting. I would focus on eating more nutrient dense foods and laying off sugar as a quick fix for a poor diet.

@divinity3 Increase the protein in your diet. It is very satiating (maybe the most), helps with energy, and will help limit muscle loss if that's a concern.

@divinity3 The most important thing you can do for yourself in this situation is getting good sleep. 8 hours of proper sleep, and maybe some caffeine to get you moving, and you should be able to fight off the drowsiness during what sounds like a rough few months ahead.

@divinity3 Ensuring I have enough protein and calories in each meal is usually enough for me. And caffeine.

If I want something sweet (usually after lunch) and fruit isn’t in reach, I try and keep a stash of hard candies.

@04tro4108 I think that is the heart of the problem. I am eating at a calorie deficit (about it 400 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner, 300 milk for coffee/tea and a snack) and then alternating running 5k and the strength training.

@divinity3 I don’t know your current ht and wt. but I’m 5’7/ 150 and 1500 cal is the lowest I like to go when losing weight without messing my metabolism up, especially when including exercise. I know hunger is to be expected during a deficit but I’ve found paying attention to my protein and fiber really helps minimize those pangs when I’m eating at a deficit as well as tracking my calories so I can be sure I’m eating the most optimal amount for me.