How do you make exercise not about weight loss?

@uticus The important thing is to find something that you love doing so much you don't want to stop. Rehab is important but rarely "fun". You're walking now, what sorts of walks would you like to do but can't yet? Set a goal and treat yourself when you've met it. Cycling is my main sport. For me, it's important to know I am trained enough that I could wake up with a hankering to ride 100 miles and then to do that sometimes, but not in a slog sense, but rather, a cool ride to somewhere else, a big dinner + draft beer while I'm there, and a lazy trip home on the train. I love this and it would break my heart to not do this any longer. Endurance cycling to me is about adventure foremost, and walking too has plenty of opportunities for that.

Related to that sense of adventure, I love feeling confident that I have the physical ability to take advantage of any opportunity that comes my way. Some of the coolest experiences traveling I've had have required a long walk, bike ride, or a bit of climbing to get to. Relatedly, I travel alone a lot and being strong and fit makes me feel safer and more confident moving through the world alone as a woman.

Also, I am very competitive. Out lifting and out cycling my male friends brings me a lot of joy.

Lastly, exercise makes embodiment so much more pleasant. When I can't get the exercise I need, even for just a few weeks, I feel a bit like the tin man at the beginning of The Wizard of Oz. My body feels heavy and inflexible, and I suddenly become aware of it in a way I typically am not. Meanwhile, without exercise, I'm an anxious and depressed mess.

@uticus For me just building the habit then maintaining it made a huge difference. It makes me feel and function so much better mentally. When I skip, I start feeling like crap, almost like I’m having withdrawals! My attitude, sleep, and self confidence all change. I missed about a month, was doing a lot of traveling and just wasn’t feeling it. I finally made myself get back to it, and the difference is huge!

@uticus I think, I was just blissfully ignorant. I started losing weight by just changing my diet and months later I started lifting. Not for looks, but to build a strength baseline (to do a different sport and reach different strength goals). Now, 1,5 years later, I fell in love with weight lifting and love how strong and fit I am. I also absolutely LOVE the look. If I had known that from the start, that would have been one of my top 3 reasons, but I had no clue back then.

@uticus I think one has to find a physical activity that they like doing for the sake of it. Something that makes your heart sing . It could be dancing , roller blading, snow hoarding , Pilates .. really whatever.

I workout because I want to be strong for my wilderness backpacking hikes and some light mountaineering ! I’m passionate about getting out there and seeing some of the most remote and beautiful places and i need strong legs and core to support me and my pack. I also absolutely love skiing and rock climbing. I’ve been getting more into running lately because i see it as the most efficient way to maintain good cardio for these other pursuits.

A huge thought in my mind is longevity- i want to be able to hike when I’m 80. I want to have the best mobility, cardio, and strength possible to make that happen. That means starting now - building life long habits. I want my balance to be top notch - so that i don’t fall and break a hip some day. My dad who is 69 recently fell and tore his rotator cuff. Two surgeries later and 8 months of PT later he is still not all the way better and he has lost so much mobility and strength in the process due to pain. I don’t want that to be me. And yes if you work on strength and balance you will greatly reduce the chances of this happening. My mom has osteoporosis. She never did weight bearing exercises. I think i can prevent a lot of what she’s going through.

I see fitness as a core pursuit of my life. It’s not something i do three times a week for an hour - that i try to cram into whatever time i have left. Movement - and the mind body connection is life ! And it’s something i want to pour myself into. It’s as important to me as eating healthy, maintaining social connections, and supporting myself financially.

I’m about to sounds like an asshat but hear me out ..

Working out has never been about weight loss for me as my family is “naturally” (whatever that means) thin and my bean pole brothers and i all have to work to maintain muscle/ our weight. I think this comes from having naturally low appetites, being slow eaters, and getting full easily.

It’s always been about feeling good, being strong, and pursing activities i love.

@uticus Honestly i was just in so much pain, i had to stop doing everything (from hiking to rock climbing to running to swimming etc).

Ended up being “good” timing because i probably would have kept at it b/c i wanted to be skinny/hot/whatever… but the pandemic hit and everything shut down.. public parks, gyms, etc.. the only thing that i could do without significant pain ended up being online yoga. Specifically Yoga for Text Neck by Yoga with Adriene. ~3.5 years later and i am still doing yoga regularly, in addition to other classes at the gym.

@uticus Any activity that you actually enjoy is a win. Dancing, lifting, spinning, climbing, hiking… anything you like doing for the sake of doing you will be more likely to stick to, so try everything!

Then find like minded people to do it with. Surround yourself with that mindset and positivity because as the meme goes, it is contagious.

I love group fitness for that reason. Social bonds develop and we’re all having a good time working on ourselves and cheering each other on in a fitness community. Just be sure to try a bunch of formats until you find one you like and sometimes you might need to try different instructors within a format to find one that has a motivational style that cliques with you. Be wary of any instructor using weight loss as a motivator.

@uticus I felt highly embarrassed and weak that I couldn't help my partner carry this new couch we got. We ended up calling one of our neighbors and she carried it with my partner without a problem. The couch was heavy, but 2 people should be able to carry it... And I wasn't. I felt so weak! I talked with our neighbor and she talked about strength training and its benefits... At the time I also struggled with carrying groceries from the supermarket that it's just 500m far from our place... And I'm 30! That's when I realized I needed to get stronger to be able to carry my own things and do normal things without feeling extremely tired or that I just did a massive workout.

@uticus I care more about performance related goals. So strength goals, distance goals, or improving my cardiovascular health in a tangible way like heart rate recovery time.

@uticus The timer and calories counter on my indoor bike broke. Forced me to set the timer somewhere I can’t readily reach it and also can’t check my calorie burn. I’m noticing that I’m enjoying the act of being physically active rather than stressing about it I’m burning enough, “when do I get to be done”, etc.

I’ve also been doing physical activity (pole dancing and volleyball) where you can’t really track numbers/metrics to know if you’re improving. You just gotta do it, which means you gotta enjoy what you do.

It’s only been a couple of months, but I definitely feel a lot less mentally bogged down with this pivot. I’m active 3-5x a week usually. I haven’t lost weight but I feel physically and mentally much better. I do still desire to lose the 10-15 lbs I’ve been struggling to lose for nearly 4 years… but I can be patient with myself.

@uticus I’m ngl, I often think about my weight and physical appearance even though I am objectively thin and it exhausts me. Working out with weight in mind always led to me being miserable, and the only thing that helps was deleting social media (PCOS/gut health influencers were rotting my brain) and focusing on other types of exercise when I get bored of something. Lifting weights, for example, has gotten very boring and laborious for me, so I’ve taken up cycling classes and running instead. I get to enjoy the weather and have a refreshing start to my day. Focusing on things like that makes it easier.

@uticus I make it not about weight loss, because it's not about weight loss. If you're trying to lose weight, reducing your calorie intake is way more effective way than exercise. Exercise is about increasing strength, muscle size, endurance, or flexibility. Pick one of those things that you're interested, and focus on that.

@uticus I'm finally on my way there, but not by choice. It's about cholesterol for me now. I gotta get going on that; I've avoided it most of my life, and maybe I can stop watching it later, but high LDL cholesterol scares me because I am afraid of strokes. So it's easier for me to feel that I'm doing it for my heart and blood. Moreover, I do need to lose some weight for the sake of the arthritis in my foot, which is not any more fun but also doesn't give me the hateful feelings that years of diet culture have.

And after keeping up with it for a month or six weeks now, I really enjoy the way that it feels easier to do things in daily life -- walking uphill, bending down and getting up. It's finally rewarding.

As a practical matter, I also think it's been important that I can exercise alone most of the time, since I use the apartments' fitness room at less popular times. I don't have to compare myself, wait for machines I want, or watch stupid TV.

@uticus I want to live longer so I need to get stronger in order to do that.

And I want to live stronger and healthier. Sitting doing this is my vice.

@uticus I can completely relate to your experience. It's so common for exercise to be associated with weight loss, especially for women. But it's great that you're recognizing the potential for exercise to serve other purposes beyond just changing your body.

For me, shifting my mindset about exercise was a gradual process. I started by setting goals that were unrelated to weight, such as improving my strength or flexibility. I focused on the positive effects that exercise had on my mood, energy levels, and overall well-being. Over time, I discovered activities that I truly enjoyed and that brought me joy and a sense of accomplishment.

Pilates, like you mentioned, is an excellent example. It can be such a mindful and relaxing practice, and it helps me focus on how my body feels rather than how it looks. Walking, too, can be incredibly therapeutic and a great way to clear your mind.

It might be helpful to experiment with different activities and find what brings you joy and a sense of fulfillment. Explore hobbies or sports that you've always been interested in or consider joining a class or group that focuses on the enjoyment and experience rather than weight loss.

Also, surrounding yourself with a supportive community can make a big difference. Engaging with like-minded individuals who prioritize the non-weight-related benefits of exercise can help reinforce your mindset shift.

Remember, it's all about finding a sustainable and enjoyable approach to fitness that aligns with your goals and values. Let go of the pressure to focus solely on weight loss, and embrace the positive impact exercise can have on your mental health, relaxation, and overall well-being. Keep up the great work with your walking and Pilates practice!

@uticus I’ve never needed to lose weight or wear smaller clothes. I’ve always needed to be stronger and avoid sedentary-lifestyle diseases.

My mom went to grad school for dance therapy before k was born and was a dance teacher, fitness instructor my whole life so I suppose I had a different education about my body’s value than most of my millennial cohort.

Not sure if this helps but maybe it’ll give you a different perspective to consider.