How much money per month do you invest on fitness?

defd2000

Hi guys, I'm almost a year into my fitness journey. I started out in 2023 and have finally hit my goal weight (F/33/5'7"/136lbs). Now I'm focusing on building muscles.

I currently spent $225 on gym membership. They offer unlimited classes and I take 4-5 a week. I've been purchasing things like protein powders and bars, and rich protein foods. These expenses kind of add up every month (holy mackerel, shrimps are so expensive!), so I'm trying to save where I can.

I am wondering on average, how much do you spend? Do you have any tips? I love group class environment and have made friends at my gym, so I don't think I can give that up.

EDIT:
Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll def apply where I can..I'm very new to this and the info online/Instagram are overwhelming sometimes. This reddit's side bar and sub has been a great source for info. I didn't even know adjustable dumbbells existed haha.

@defd2000 All the things you mentioned are a choice. You don't need an expensive gym or even a gym to get fit. There are inexpensive protein powders and protein bars really aren't even a health food in my opinion. And shrimp is totally unnecessary.

But even if you keep spending how you are it will likely save you money on health care in the long run.

@ridgerunner0 That's what I thought too. I spent $1300 on a health emergency last year and that was what it finally took me to realize, "I could've invest all that money on my health instead...."

I feel like I'm making a lot of uninformed choices, so the goal this year is to be a little leaner in my spending.

@defd2000 Just a few ideas - There are tons of free fitness classes online. You can find the same shoes at discount stores (sierra or tj maxx) or expensive specialty stores. I got a pair of "$150 running shoes" for under $30 at sierra. You can also get them cheap from asics or reebok websites. Rotisserie chicken at costco is a really cheap source of protein. Also skim milk, dried beans, genric protein powder are all cheap options for protein. I bike to work and save thousands per year on parking, and vehicle costs. Even buying an ebike is way better for your health than driving. I swim at the local HS for about $4 per visit.

@isaiah5811 Well that is definitely true but its all relative since there are people paying $100+ for a small can. I did just order some from bulkfoods.com. Going to try it. I was getting the stuff at walmart but yeah it did double in price. Im actually not using any right now.

@defd2000 On purely training/fitness:
  • $60/month for personal trainer (online)
  • $24/month for Peloton membership
  • home gym: no monthly cost
On sports/physical activities: too much.

Ironically the better in shape we all get, the more physical activities we are able to do, which means more equipment, more trips, more events.

I wouldn't be surprised if I spent like $10k/year on gear and activities.

@werewolf I'm thinking of pivoting my strength training and start doing it at home. Space is a little limited right now for a barbell at home, but I can def get a mat and dumbbells setup going.

Any flooring you can recommend?

@defd2000 Good 3/4" rubber mats. That + a good set of adjustable dumbbells + an adjustable bench will let you do a lot of stuff at home for very little space/money (relatively) investment.

@defd2000
Any flooring you can recommend?

Horse stall mats (you can get them at Tractor supply or a similar store) are the go to. If you're going to home gym it and don't have room for a barbell check out r/kettlebell . They're a much more diverse tool than dumbbells, bit of a learning curve but you can do a lot more with them.

Also my husband drilled hooks onto a wall for me. So I have a high, eye level, low and floor. I hook with carabiners. You can find a good infographic on workouts.

@defd2000 If you’re wanting to build out a home gym with limited space I recommend getting kettlebells and/or a good set of adjustable dumbbells. You can often find the latter used on Craigslist or facebook marketplace. The Garage Gym Reviews YouTube channel has good overview on equipment.

@defd2000 When I had a dedicated garage gym I had horse-stall mats, but I don't recommend that.

I'm now in a smaller place with my gym in my office room. I have a synthetic-wood floor which is good enough for lifts. With bumper plates I'm not worried about messing up the floor, and I don't drop weights (well maybe a little bit). And I use an old yoga mat when I'm on the floor doing core or mobility work.

r/homegym has some good info on flooring.

Training at home is great for convenience and cost (assuming you're not paying extra in real-estate). But it's a lot of solo time and does require more self-motivation. I'll be switching to a commercial gym for a month or two while I move to a new place and actually I look forward to the socializing and working out with friends. Gets a little lonely in my office gym hole!

@kjvbible1611 Probably not a useful answer, but my online trainer was my in-person trainer for a few years before I had to relocate for work. Because we had worked together pretty closely it was really easy to switch to remote training. He gets the training data that I fill out after every workout, and he goes over some form check videos I send in, and makes minor adjustments along the way. We've known each other for 10 years now, so we know each others communication patterns really well.

To be honest if I had to choose an online trainer from day 1 I'd probably have a hard time making a choice.

@werewolf +1 to the home gym

I spend $35 on juggernaut ai
$24 on peloton
$11 or so on macrofactor but I prepaid 6 months so it might actually be less

OP at $250 a month you could build a nice home gym.