How much protein is really needed?

wrightdjohn

Hello!

I have read contradicting points about this. Some say 1.5 g of protein per kg (2,2 lbs) and others say 2,2g of protein per kg (2,2 lbs). I have also read on Fitness Wiki that minimum always should be 160g regardless of weight.

What do you guys think, how much is really needed?

Food is so expensive these days, and wondering if I could personally get away with less to save some money on high protein food, but dont wanna lose any potential gains.

@wrightdjohn Fitness Wiki needs to be updated I guess.

I would wager, if you're underslept at all, getting an extra 30 minutes of sleep every day would get you far more gains than going from 1.6g/kg to 2.2g/kg

... but there is nuance here. When losing weight, it could make the 2.2g number slightly more favorable, although I don't believe all evidence points in that direction.

Then there is personal preference for satiety reasons. Personally, I used to really thrive on very high protein amounts, or at least felt like I did. But since I know more carbs would likely make my training feel better, I've shifted things down to a more reasonable level (still approaching that 2.2g/kg number). But I was doing like 3g/kg at one point, 5-6 meals a day, with lots of protein for satiety, on a long cut.

@wrightdjohn Dr Mike just did a video about this a few weeks ago. Basically anything over 0.8g/lb is no value added and essentially money wasted because protein is expensive in any form. 0.6g/lb is fine for most people.

@rev7verse9to12 The second one explains why the number Dr. Mike gives is largely an overestimate. The 0.8 virtually guarantees you have enough protein but you're probably actually using a lot less in reality.

@wrightdjohn What my question is with this: is theg/kg counted by complette weight, or just muscle weight? For me fat fuck it makes so far a difference between calculating from 100kg or 75 kg

@wrightdjohn .8g to 1.5g or protein per goal weight. Ie if you weight 250 pounds and are fat eat for the goal weight you have ie 180lbs.

Everybody's genetics are different and you need to find what works for you. 1.5g is prob on the excessive side and more for bodybuilders using drugs.