How my gym views women

debyfabienne

I’ve been going to my current gym now for 7 months, and I finally can’t take it anymore. The gym is pointlessly gendered, to the point I’m starting to feel insulted.

Let’s start with this poster. The English translation is “when you’re too weak to put your weights back, please contact our personal. The girls will happily help you.”

First, there’s the scantly clad airbrushed woman. Then there’s the assumption that women have anything to do with picking up after the men, and the further suggestion that either woman don’t have a reracking issue (debatable), or more likely, are not lifting free weights at all.

Then there’s this image all over the gym. The translation is “put away your weights”. Let’s just skim straight past the heteronormative bullshit in the image and reiterate the above point: the depiction seems to imply that women don’t need this reminder. The “why” is unclear, but not encouraging.

I don’t appreciate that the women working hard in this gym are being confronted with imagery that suggests their roles are to clean up after the men, not achieve their own goals.

Then let’s move on to the training programs. They have a number of training template brochures available. I want to say about 6. Of all of them, only the one meant for women has a photo of a woman on the cover. The one meant for women has no free weight training. It’s all body weight and isolation machines for the legs. Then there’s a program that on the cover says “only for men”. This program consists of lunges with a barbell, bent over rows, lat pull downs, bench press, and chest press. Very much exercises I have in my own program.

I’m frustrated. I don’t feel represented in my gym (and I’m not even getting into the binary representation of gender the gym is taking), even though I lift with everything I’ve got, every time I go.

On one hand, I understand that as a franchise trying to make money, you focus on your target audience. And from observation, 80% of the women in my gym (during the times I go) are indeed not lifting with free weights. But shouldn’t management then take this as an untapped market, and encourage other women to try out new things? I shied from free weights in the beginning out of uncertainty and intimidation of the bro energy from the beefed up men. But I got there with the help of a hired trainer that not everyone has the luxury of doing.

I’ve already brought this up to the female trainer who works when I go. She is also bothered by it, but management didn’t change anything after she suggested it wasn’t appropriate. She’s going to take my complaints to them though and state that a customer is dissatisfied. Maybe something will come of that. But what saddens me is I’m the only other person she knows of that has said anything.

I’d love to hear about your experiences regarding representations of women in the gym, any complaints you may have made, or how you feel about inclusivity in your fitness studio

@debyfabienne Imo you’re thinking too much, it’s just a gym if you’re not happy go to another one. In ref to the write up of put your weights away with a pic of a girl I’d be inclined to say that it’s aimed at men not putting weights away and gives the mentality of “are you weaker than a girl?”

@glorytogodfrostmane Yeah, but does it change much that it's aimed at men? It basically says "put away your weights or you'll be emasculated by women who'll do it for you". It's the 21st century, man, why do we need posters hanging around shaming men for being weak and implying that they should always be stronger than women. Idk, that just doesn't seem like a very fun and productive environment to me - which is what a gym should be.

@debyfabienne The gym I go to has a section for women only, along with an everyone side. That is part of the appeal. But the woman's side doesn't have regular machines, it has weird cheap looking ones without your standard weight it has weird buttons your press to change the weight. It doesn't have a spot for bench press. For awhile it just had a Smith machine and no squat rack. It doesn't have bumper plates so if you're using lighter weights on deadlifts it is really annoying to set up. For awhile it only had lighter dumbbells. It doesn't have an assisted pull up machine or a spot to do dips. No cable machines for rows or anything.

If you're going to advertise a woman's only side, the quality and options should still be available, maybe just less multiples of machines.

@gods10rules Just food for thought…they may be more trying to meet women’s unmet needs than to provide an entirely separate space. The weird machines may be because the machines are specifically “woman-sized”. I’m 5’2 and I have issues with several pieces of equipment in my gyms because I’m too short to use them. I also struggle a lot getting the lighter weights I need at one gym because they really don’t have enough 5-15s. You can always go to the main area if you need the other stuff.

@jdubs99 I'm 5'3" and I totally get it. Some of the stuff on the unisex side is too big even with adjustments...like the pull up machine is only accessible with wide grip, the dip bars are too wide set and should be adjustable, the hamstring curl, seated curl and extension machines are too big. I can't get full ROM on the leg press. So I wish we had those same options but more adjustable to accommodate more standard woman sizing not just men sizing being the default.

I hate doing those workouts in the main area, which is why I signed up for a gym with woman's area also

@gods10rules I honestly wish we even had the option where I live. “Women’s gyms” and “women’s areas” aren’t allowed because the MRAs feel “discriminated” against in a space already built for them. Basically, I have no hope to get a leg press that adjusts to me or allows me to rerack without using my toes because a “women’s leg press” might offend a white guy.

@debyfabienne So basically two tongue in cheek jokes to get people to rerack their weights and one actual issue with restrictions on who can/can’t join certain classes. Have you tried to show up for the men’s only class you want to go to? Have they not let you participate? I say just show up and crush it like you know you can. Then have them change their programs to be more inclusive.

@debyfabienne I guess the first one is supposed to be funny or sarcastic. "Hey strong dude, put away your weights, and if you're too weak for that THE GIRLS are going to help!" I think it's pretty good but agreed, it can be misunderstood.

@debyfabienne I’m pretty sure the ad is targeted at the “big strong men” who don’t put their weights back. It’s meant to be insulting to the men by suggesting the only reason they don’t re-rack is that they’re too weak and that the women working there are stronger than they are and will happily show you by doing the thing you’re not doing because you’re a weak girly man. I actually think it’s more insulting this way. To everyone.

@debyfabienne I am from Germany too and I go to a fit-x gym. I've always felt that it was very inclusive. There's a small women's area that has frosted glass doors and contains a proper squat rack, a full selection of barbells and plates, a pull up station and a few mats for warmup and benches etc. They've recently increased the size, too. When I started I was told that of course I'm welcome to use the big weightlifting area but as they have some clients who feel more comfortable working out in a separate space, they offer it.

There are no weird pictures like that and I know that working out on the big weightlifting area is no problem, because I go over there for anything not in the room (like cables etc).

Now that I think about it, they used to have beach posters with women on them, but in the women's area, I think in a misguided attempt to make it more cheery (no windows)? They're gone now and they had no text and weren't weirdly sexual.

@debyfabienne I was never a clever fit goer, but I went to fitinn (servus oida) for years and while the actual gym was nice, the casual body shaming marketing was abysmal. Was absolutely mind-blown when I entered a gym where women weren't expected to want to be small and decorative.

@debyfabienne This woman’s figure is quite similar to mine, and I’m very strong. I have been working a very physically demanding job for a while, and I’m lean and fit. I work out to increase my functional strength, we aren’t all aiming for hypertrophy or strong “looking” bodies.

And I think the thing about the “girls” picking up after the guys is just an idiotic joke trying to shame the men and associate weakness with not picking up your weights, amplified by the fact that if he can’t do it, then the girls will (insinuating that even girls at the gym are stronger than that guy, the weak one who can’t lift up his weights to put them away). It’s stupid but I don’t think they are suggesting anything about the women on staff actually cleaning up after them.

@debyfabienne Out of curiosity, what country is this in? Makes me grateful for my rainbow-covered gym in California where the first thing you see is a sign to the effect of "all races/creeds/genders/identities/immigration status are welcome, and also science is real."

That's CA for you lmao

@jsharp54509 Same with WA. Both powerlifting gyms I’ve been a part of have gone out of their way to make me feel like I belong as a trans woman. To the point of some coaches offering free sessions because they want to learn how HRT impacts AMAB strength/fitness regimens so they can better meet their GNC clientele’s wishes to achieve their fitness/transition goals.

Wild how some gyms are total shitbag dens, others turn into temples to our health with cool people.

Back