How to keep motivated to workout daily when stuck in the 9-5 corporate cycle?

@robs07m6s How does waking up earlier help? 99% of people need 7-9 hours of quality sleep, especially where fitness is concerned. Waking up earlier just means having to go to bed earlier.

@skla Regardless of when I wake up every day, my lunch is at noon, the my dinner is at roughly 6pm. I wake up between 5:00-8:00 depending on the day of the week, but my second and third meal are at the same time of the day.

To answer your question (from my perspective, not the person you asked), I have less hours at the end of the night to get hungry/bored because I know I’m going to bed 3hrs after my dinner

@abnerpublishing It’s tough. I work 830-5, hour and a half commute round trip (longer if I count door to door, much longer). I also have a 2.5 year old.

I try to work out, but frankly, whatever I get to I get to.

Although I will acknowledge that working out is increasingly important as we age and we all need to be better

@josh261995 Good call here, maybe I should try that. I’m someone who sweats profusely and gets really blushed while working out, so I just worry that I wouldn’t look presentable going into work even after a shower

@abnerpublishing Same. What I do is at the end of my shower I turn the water cool/cold and make sure to hit the spots where heat escapes the body, scalp and armpits. You don’t have to get the water “ice bath cold” in order to get a quick response in temp regulation. You should feel normal after a minute or so of attempting to cool your body down.

@dawn16 No, so it’s gonna get even worse in the future 😡 personal time sucks I have identified is mostly my work commute, 45min each way. Working to move closer soon but still

@abnerpublishing So, awake by 6:00, out the door by 6:15, gym by 6:30, train for an hour. Home by 7:45. Showered and dressed by 8:15, work by 9. Or short circuit that by getting dressed for work at the gym. Home by 5:45. 5 plus hours of personal time. Bed by 11. Seems pretty doable.

Or home by 5:45, gym by 6:00, home by 7:15, and then 4-5 hours of me time before bed. Also doable. No reason training and gym commute should take any longer than 6 hours a week. You can also train both weekend days, which means 3 weekdays you don’t need to train at all.

No offense, but if you find it hard to train with a 9-5, once you get married, have a house, kids, more work responsibilities (and maybe no longer working 9-5), you’re gonna be FUCKED.

@dawn16 I know, and I guess I’m looking towards the future too. I know a ton of people who fall off after marriage and kids, so just trying to find ways to be future-proof. Appreciate the advice

@abnerpublishing There’s a few ways to “future proof”. I recommend using more than one if possible.
  1. Time management. Budget time, set a schedule, stick to it.
  2. Find something you love. Training is a non negotiable for me. I don’t do it because it’s good for me. I do it b/c it’s my primary hobby and I’d go insane without it.
  3. Learn to adapt. I’ve trained at 11pm before to get it in. It sucks. I hate it. It fucks with my sleep. But it kept me consistent.

@dawn16 People treat exercise like it’s something you do after you make sure XYZ is taken care of. The irony is that when people fantasize about a genie giving you three wishes, healthy usually comes before wealth. If it’s so important to you, you’ll find time for it instead of organizing your pantry or whatever

It kinda sounds to me like OP is making excuses and wants justification for not working out in the future. Wrong sub for that.

@dawn16 yep! training saturday and sunday is a game changer! a fav routine of mine when work gets crazy is Wed full body with a push/pull sollit for Sat abd Sun...mych easier to schedule..other options ive tried is Wed/Fri/Sun ir Turs/Thurs/Sat/Sun....only issue is if im working out in mornings it seems better to have a daily routine for consistenct..

Back