How to progress pull-ups? (F25)

@carollcsw This is true and that bicep work would benefit for that scenario, however I've personally seen all the pull ups/chinups etc focus on the back as the primary muscle group to work, and the bicep from a chin up as a secondary benefit. It will work it, but if you're wanting to build them specifically there's better workouts for it.

@carollcsw Why would carry an injured person in front of you? Maybe a smaller child but only a strongman could pull that off for an kind of run ing distance. In an emergency you'd be loading them up on to your back to run.

@marija321 This is what I'm doing rn. Currently I can maybe 5 good ones if I'm rested. So I've been doing 2 every 30 seconds everyday til I do 20. Good use of 10 mins.

@notmyname Congratulations on 5, that’s already more than plenty of people. As others have said, you need to increase your frequency of training to continue to progress. I would recommend the Armstrong pull-up program. It’s easy, simple, and free. You can find it on Google and just add it to your current routine. It only involves a quick morning and evening routine. The morning is 3 sets of push-ups to failure, I did mine in between brushing teeth, getting dressed, etc. then you have a different evening pull-up routine each night, but only Mon-Friday. That way you get to train every portion of the pull-up. You’ll do narrow, wide, chins one day and a pyramid the next. If you adhere to it, you’ll progress. Its soo simple and translates to strength in a ton of areas

@hakeemnumber22 I think you're ego lifting if you can't rip 3 sets of 8-10 from a dead hang and pausing at the top. I didn't feel I needed to add weight until I was easily doing over 15 a set.

@kasele Well yeah, 8-10 is in the 6+ region and that's where I started adding weight.

Personally took me forever to get to 15 and adding weight was part of the solution.

@notmyname Listen to your body. I would do them at least 2 times per week and If I feel exhausted, I recover with good nutrition and rest.

Also every rep has to be qualitative.
We don't know how you do the pull ups.
Maybe the execution is fine and maybe it's not.

If you can't pull yourself up, do negatives and hold against the drag.

Fibres need contraction, exhaustion and burn. You also need a lot of good local energy in your muscles, else you won't feel pump and stronger than the previous session.

Rows on the dip bar after your last set of pull ups, is also helpful to increase your reps.

@notmyname Your primary focus should be weekly volume. If you do 1 set max reps today (let's say 5 reps) and then you feel burnt out for the rest of the week, then you've only done 5 reps by the end of the week.

But if you do 2 reps every day, you would've done 14 by the end of the week.

This is a super rough example because your volume should be much higher in general and you should be supplement with other movements in your training, but hopefully this gives you an idea of the direction you should be heading in.

@notmyname I am also female and similar age and found that I progress much much better when starting in higher rep-ranges. Also, consistent training twice a week.
With pull-ups I found negatives difficult to progress so I use an exercise band to support me so that I can have training sets of at least 6 reps (which is about 85% or my max.). Then I progress with that until 12 reps per set and move to a a thinner band or just body weight pull-ups. Again, so that I can start at working sets of 6 reps. With this method, I got up to 5 Sets of 7 Pull-ups in the beginning of the year. Annoyingly I got injured (not from training but cycling) and had to stoop training for a while, so now I am back at training with the exercise band.

But also, I really needed more muscle mass, thus training for hypertrophy made sense for me. That might be different for you though.

Back