How to progressively overload, when to start training core

peterjohn

Hey, I am 18M. Recently, I have been going to the gym every single day in a week except for Friday.I have been consistent for 1 month now as consistency was my ultimate goal and I am kind of adding reps and weights here and there following this system(that I came up with after after watching some videos on the matter)

How I progressively overload(Probably incorrect or not efficient idk)

I first select ONE machine to focus on progressively overloading

I start with

2 sets 8 reps.

Next day

2 sets 10 reps

Next day

2 sets 12 reps

Next day

3 sets 8 reps

Next day

3 sets 10 reps

Next day

And follow the same thing for ONE machine only up until I reach 4 sets 12 reps then I increase the weight(Like if it starts with 9KG, then I increase it to the next available one, in this case 14KG) and then choose a different machine to focus on and the whole cycle repeats. What I noticed that I was doing wrong was that I am not focusing on different muscle groups while doing this so I'd like some suggestions on how to improve.

Also, I haven't trained my core up until now so where do you recommend me to start?

Should I continue using machines and not free weights? When to add other machines?

Before I start my workout I warmup for 5 mins before going to the gym using this YT video

Here's my workout(I am going by foot to the gym while listening to some podcasts[Is that a good idea? Should I ride a bicycle instead and then use the gym's treadmill?])

https://pastebin.com/EiqHEvu5

I have also been considering these protein chocolate drinks but I am not sure whether if it is appropriate at the moment

I am a complete beginner when it comes to going to the gym so any feedback on how to improve is appreciated

@peterjohn Congrats on getting your fitness goals started. First, what are you fitness goals? You said consistency which is great. Are you looking to add muscle? Gain strength? Train for sport? Loose weight?

From your workout, seems like you are doing a full body routine everyday. Depending on your goals, you might want to break off workouts into muscle groups. A good routine is called PPL, Push Pull Legs. This breaks up the workout into three different workout days where you focus on alternating muscle groups. Day 1 Push - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps. Day 2 Pull - Back, Lats, Biceps, and Day 3 Legs - Squats, Lunges, Leg Extensions.

As for progressive overload and hypertrophy, remember that it's not only how much you are lifting but time under tension. You can slowly lower your free weight on a 4 count to "work more" while keeping reps and weight the same. The biggest key to progressively overloading is keeping track of your lifts so that you are always challenging yourself. Push yourself as much as you can while maintaining PROPER FORM.

As for the protein, that depends entirely on your goals and diet. Its possible if you are eating enough high quality fibrous food that you wont need it. But for some, its a great way to hit their caloric goals in a fast paced life-style.

As for your sets, I'd stick to at least 3 if not 4 or 5. The more time under tension you keep your muscles in the more likely you'll achieve hypertrophy. Light but super slow to feel the burn.

I wouldn't worry about core until you get more comfortable. It's a very small set of muscles so unless your body fat % is pretty low, you'll have trouble seeing results. Your time might be better spend elsewhere. Personally, I'd suggest the free weights to encourage you to work on proper form. Machines are good when you want to overload for strength but for a beginner, I always say work on form till you feel strong enough to add.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Back