I’m so tired of hearing “it’s not like they’re going to the games...”

@devonian Had to no-rep a relatively new athlete at my gym, hated doing it, but standards are there so that next time when/if it comes back they know how to get those standards and don't short change it in the mean time. Of course they weren't games ready, but better form/completion is better for them in the long-run

@devonian Hitting movement standards has always been so ingrained in me and it's something I try to take to every workout

I get that some people can't hit standards, but they shouldn't he scored as if they did in a contest with real standards set forth

@devonian They may not be going to the games but they are cheating other legit athletes out of points and changing the leaderboard standings. Every point matters for age group qualifiers so it does matter. I’m under no illusion that I’m an elite athlete but I would like a fair shot at proving I have earned a spot in the top 200 age qualifier.

@devonian You dying bruh? Who cares who put what anywhere. Just do what's best for you. IDC if anybody puts their name next to mine. Or whether I put my name next to theirs. Do you even lift bruh. Or do you just complain. As long as person x is moving and being active and not sitting on the couch eating TV dinners watching the Kardashian they're winning. That's all that matters. You sound hurt

@devonian Like any community i find there is a mix of people.. as my gym we have some that are a little loose, stepped on the line for your lunges? Close enough!.. and others who will call their own no reps.

We have a stunning example of an athlete that is likely Games bound whose judge called her reps good, they weren't confident and went to the extent of sending the video to 4 coaches including one at another gym for a second opinion. One of them said she should redo so she did (her score happened to improve, so i guess added bonus).

Anyway, i guess I'm saying there is good and bad, and nothing you can do about it except let it upset you.

@devonian I actually feel the opposite. Seems to me that coaches who are encountering this haven't held standards and coached solid standards throughout the year. They've let athletes ride on subpar movements and not gone the extra mile the entire year and are now looking at their athletes with a fresh set of eyes because of an arbitrary competition and realizing how terrible they are at coaching.

Additionally, they didn't work with their athletes during the lead up to the open to get in practice at judging to a standard. Now they are disappointed when a volunteer judge, from the community, is judging a standard they weren't trained to, with no practice, and the results are poor.

Since most of the posts regarding rep-shavers seem to have people saying "we all know who they are" I suspect these same coaches that are complaining about this aren't working hard enough at community building and individual development to address this throughout the year in a way that keeps members honest, while balancing the difficult conversation with the need to keep the gyms members paying. I know this happens at my gym.

Additionally, I suspect a significant number of the "they're not going to the games " posts are related to the fact that coaches aren't aware of which members are in class for the open, the in house experience, or the daily WOD. No repping someone who is there for a WOD is absurd. Rather cueing that member is appropriate. But you know... nuance.

Finally, rather than taking seriously the growth of their community or their gym, they've decided to blame others rather than take personal responsibility for their community, gym and athletes. Finding it easier to point a finger instead of focusing on the 3 pointing back at them. So they rant, content in thier self righteousness, that the members are the problem.

Back