I’m the crying girl

@whitehorse If you haven’t cried mid-WOD, are you really even a CrossFitter?

It’s fine! I remember sobbing in the middle of a partner workout, just utterly overwhelmed, but still plugging away at wallballs. I was mortified, but everyone was so concerned and sweet. All I could say was: I’m tired of being old and slow and fat. Five years in, and I’m older, slightly less slow, and definitely less fat 😂

Cry on, and hang in there!!!

@whitehorse I (m) wear shin guards. You can find lacross shin guards, or other kinds. Or I've seen people just just their knee pads down.

To other stuff, who cares what others think? Just focus on yourself and getting better and you'll do a lot better.

I've found to best way to get respect at cf is just try your best. Everyone respects that.

@whitehorse nah you aint the cryer girl, your the girl who giving it her all. trying her hardest. keep up the hard work. keep on jumping!

as for shin guards, some people will use their knee sleeves and just lower them down while not squatting, but honestly, you're gonna be jumping higher and higher soon so it won't even be a worry

@whitehorse After a couple of box jump falls, I got shinguards. I first started with basic soccer shinguards but those started to slide. I ended up with some from RXSG and they have been great.

@whitehorse I'm known as the clumsy one at my gym. Also I have:

Passed out and almost k'Od another member.
Fell on a pothole on a run and twisted my ankle and needed to be carried back
Fell on box jumps more times than I can remember. My shins are constantly bruised.
Regularly barf after a 7am class

And you know what? Noone cares. In fact it's almost viewed fondly by the other members and coaches.

I regularly curse and swear on tough or heavy days.

Don't worry about it. You're showing up and getting stuff done.

@whitehorse I cried yesterday. Sometimes the workout gets me so out of breath i think it brings out emotions that im repressing. It forces me to cry what I haven’t allowed myself to cry. It happens. Keep showing up.

@whitehorse Everyone has been last and will be last again. Even the most veteran athletes will have a workout show up full of all of their weaknesses that will destroy them. It happens to everyone.

You’re either last or clapping for the people finishing last. You just rotate which person you are throughout the years.

@whitehorse you are going to be fine. my shin is also with marks on it from box jumps. most important isn't the trying to catch up to others but the results it has on your body

@whitehorse lol I have been doing cf for about 6 months now and I don’t really bother with box jumps, so good for you!!! And I have cried at CrossFit once, I really didn’t want to do the wod so I went into the bathroom and cried for a good minute lol.

Good for you for showing up and trying your best, and like what someone else said nobody cares. People are naturally self-centered, I tell myself that whenever I embarrass myself haha

@whitehorse I’ll never understand why people care so much about what other people think of them. Are they paying your monthly membership dues? Did they buy you a new pair of nanos? Did anyone else at the gym contribute to your rent or bills this month? Would you even want to be friends with people who had this kind of judgement for others? If the answer is no to any of these questions then why do you care what they think or have to say?

@whitehorse You’re not the crier, you’re the beast who doesn’t give up when shit gets hard. We need you and we don’t care if you also cry. If you were in my box and cried frequently and still kept coming back and doing your best, we would all think you are a fucking bad-ass original, which I’m sure is what you are. 💪🏼👍🏼👊🏼

@whitehorse Your poor shin, that hurts so much! Ouch!

Cry any time you feel like it. No one is going to judge you, at all. Crying at the gym is okay and normal! You're a human, taking part in movement that challenges us in vulnerable ways. Sometimes the process can jostle loose some emotions, and sometimes it's just the natural response to your nervous system being pushed (my coaches taught me this, because it happens to me too).

The gym can be a vulnerable place, but it can also be a safe space for you to be yourself in all forms. Not everyone knows how to react when someone is showing emotions, but most people feel compassion even if they're not showing it to you outwardly.

Sending you a high five, from a fellow "last across the finish line" human. The way I see it, someone has to be last and if that's my role sometimes, so be it. :) My best advice is to embrace the suck and know that everyone is rooting for you, really and truly.

@whitehorse It would be different if you were the crying GUY @ the gym. Unless your crash somehow made your mums life support system go on the fritz and her dr called you immediately after the fall to let you know that she was not amongst the living anymore. Then you could cry…a little…..after the post session shower…..on your way to the car……..but don’t let anyone see you. Also, no limping……….🤨pansy. 🤣😂🤣 jk……..mostly. 😒

@whitehorse Hey I’m the class puker, and it’s almost become a badge of honor for coaches and others to witness it. Instead of getting embarrassed I own it. I usually laugh it off at the end with everyone else and usually everyone is relieved that they weren’t the only one struggling through. If I saw someone next to me crying I’d probably give a quick “need to chat?” to make sure it wasn’t anything deeper, but otherwise would only be focusing on getting through the workout myself.

@whitehorse I bashed my shins on box jumps also! It scarred me physically and mentally!! I make sure to always use the soft / plastic boxes (not the wooden ones) and use a shorter box. Or just cut reps down so my jumps are really focused.

I’ve also cried. When a coach had me do a scale for pull-ups he thought I could handle and I couldn’t. Felt so defeated.

You’ve got this!!!! It’s very normal!! Good job challenging yourself! xoxo

@whitehorse Has nobody said this yet?

It might sound weird but having a crier helps. I guarantee everyone is vicariously crying through you. They just don’t know how to