I *calmly* shut down unwanted male attention today!

karin70

I feel really proud of myself and wanted to share with women who would get it.

I practice both muy Thai and jiu jitsu - neither of which I’ve done in a year due to the pandemic.

This week, the local rules on outdoor fitness changed and my apartment complex set up some fitness equipment outside. I live in Southern California, so the weather is great.

They put up a punching bag in one area and I was so damn excited! I’ve always done intense sports and have struggled over the last year - not able to get to that intensity inside an apartment.

So, I’m outside, working on my combos on the bag. Having a great time. Just, grinding and happy - in that sweet serotonin release when you are moving your body in a way that you love.

My experience has been that - no matter where I am - if I’m practicing my striking in public, it’s a 100% guarantee that a guy will approach me and attempt to correct my form.

I’ve always struggled when it comes to shutting down men clearly, calmly, and without panic. I either over-respond: harsh and panicking and scared. Or, I’m too nice and end up engaged in a conversation I don’t want to be in- dying inside trying to politely leave the convo. Both leave me feeling upset and annoyed at myself for how I handled it.

Yesterday, I saw a guy walking up to me out of the corner of my eye. He stopped, started saying something, and started to mimic a form correction (incorrectly). I just stayed in my fight stance, looked him directly in the eye, kept my headphones in, and said “I’m good.” Then went back to exactly what I was doing!

He walked away without any other incident. “Oh, you good, then...” Probably embarrassed, but I don’t care.

That may not seem like a huge deal, but it was to me and I couldn’t have done it without Reddit!

From being on here, I’ve learned that men aren’t entitled to my time or my response. Just because they want to interrupt me, doesn’t mean I have to let them. I can just tell them “no” and move the fuck on.

What I find so fascinating about it all is that I’ve done hundreds of public fitness activities in my life - running, biking, yoga, pull-ups, bar work, etc. All of that has attracted attention, but it’s only when I’m working on striking that men stop to correct my form.

It’s like, they feel threatened to see a woman capable of fighting and need to reassert their dominance by putting me back into my place by letting me know they know more.

But, first of all, no one invited you to this party. This is my workout. You are not invited here. Get the eff outta here trying to uninvited mansplain my workout to me.

Second of all, I have two years of high-level training from a professional fighter. I know more about fighting than 95% of people walking around. The handful of mma fights you watched and the backyard tips your pop taught you - that’s not real knowledge.

Third of all, get the fuck out of here, jambroni!

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Edit: To the supporters, thank you for holding space and understanding.

To those that don’t understand:

The reason this guy’s behavior is problematic is as follows:

It’s that: my vibe very clearly says “leave me alone.” I have a low hat on. Sunglasses. Headphones. Hands up high. Moving around a punching bag - executing combos. I’m in a zone. I’m in the middle of a workout.

There’s no reason for another person to interrupt me while I’m working out - unless there’s a safety issue. In this instance, I’m also in a “one person only COVID workout station” so no one should have been coming through at all.

This guy chose to ignore a) my vibe that says “no” and b) a COVID social distancing thing.

He wanted to mansplain my workout to me. That’s not welcome. I don’t want it. I didn’t ask for it.

Just because he wants my attention doesn’t mean he deserves it.

And mostly, based on my experiences in 20+ years of working out, and the hundreds of women here who commented - this guy doesn’t want to correct my form, he wants to hit on me.

And I’m sure as fuck not here for that - in the middle of my workout.

In this particular instance, I’m a strong ass fighter. I’m not a beginner. I know what I’m doing. There is no safety /form issue here. Of course, I have many areas to work on. But, it’s not the right of some random guy to point that out to me.

Finally, it is scary as fuck to have strange men approach you. It is terrifying. You have no idea what they want, who they are, how aggressive or pushy they will be. Most men don’t seem to understand this. I live in a huge city. I approach all strangers like they are wild cards until proven otherwise. That’s a survival skill. Having a random man walk up to me doesn’t feel safe and I’ll do what I need to to keep space between me and him - even if that comes off as somewhat harsh, because my safety is more important than how he feels.

@karin70 Imagine if a girl was trying to say something to a guy (the guy not knowing the girls intentions) and the guys says “I’m good”... and we celebrate it.

@karin70 Awesome job!

As a woman who has done muay thai for a decade -- I know exactly what you mean about the unsolicited mansplaining. Like, bro, have you been training with Lumpini champions for several years? No? Take all the seats.

I hope to have your steely grace under pressure the next time this happens!

@karin70 As a dude myself, I'd be hard pressed to approach anyone kicking the shit out of an object to give unsolicited advice on kicking the shit out of something, regardless of gender or age. Either they're pissed off and wanting to hit something, or concentrating. You're either an idiot or an ass for interrupting. Just leave people be when they're beating something up, or playing sports... but if they're jogging, you have every right to start singing the rocky theme song and start cheering them on lol.

@dallila Haha. This is honestly my favorite comment today!

Exactly! Like, I’m punching and kicking this bag. What about that vibe says, “please interrupt me and chat!”

@dawn16 Ahh. That actually makes a lot of sense.

I looked up the origin of the word today (being unsure if it had a racial background I didn’t know about).

The iron sheik used it in wrestling days - it started as the word “jobber” - like the fall guy in a fight against a main act. It got shortened to “jabroni.”

Somehow in looking it up, I didn’t see I was spelling it incorrectly.

@karin70 Ok I'm actually curious (I'm here from popular). As a dude, in these situations if another dude comes up to me and corrects my form, I say thanks and work on it. Legit trying to grasp the other perspective here so what's the big deal with this? It seems like just because it's a guy it's not ok? If a women walked up and did the same thing would that be a problem? So like is it the interruption that's the problem or the gender? Bad form can lead to injuries. I have a hard time understanding why this would be a problem. Again, not trying to pick a fight I'm legit curious what the root cause Is for the behavior of just shutting a guy's advice down seemingly because they're just a guy.

Edit: for the downvoters I'd like to emphasize I'm genuinely asking. There's some ignorance here on my part I'm looking to solve. We should encourage this behavior, not downvote it.

@vinjamurisam Most men don't interrupt other men when doing a traditional man task because:

A) They are a man and men assume that man knows what they're doing because they also possess a penis- so they must. They are given the benefit of the doubt more readily than anything a woman is doing in traditionally a mans space like lifting weights, working on cars, boxing, welding, etc.

B) Men will use this opportunity to engage a woman with a sexual motivation. She is into this non-feminine thing and must not be like other women who I have found to not put up with my bs. I will give unsolicited advice and open the conversation to getting a date/sex, I will seem wise and undercut her confidence in what she already knows.

C) Women have always dealt with this and it's obnoxious. What's even more obnoxious and reaches infuriating is when we actually know more than the man giving advice, intruding in our space with their lack of knowledge, and a smug attitude.

Imagine if everything you did a woman popped up out of nowhere and tried to correct you, even if you knew how to do it. How long would you stay polite? How long until you lost your mind and just started yelling and swearing for all of them to stop making you feel stupid because you aren't? Well the one who you lost it on is now looking at you like you're insane and goes "jeeze, I was just trying to help, crazy bitch". Did they deserve you having snapped at them? Nope, but little do they know it's a daily barrage. Most women are jaded to it and it barely registers unless it's that overt.

This isn't even touching on you can't risk losing it and need to keep it under control because you have no idea who's capable of taking it to that next level and you're not physically equal, even if they look like they shouldn't be as strong as they are, so now you have to pick your battles and situations. Decades of nuance and context that men have had the privilege of being blissfully unaware of; But I'm glad you're all here now and willing to learn.

Last thing, unless someone asks for assistance, or it looks like they're about to seriously hurt themselves or others- leave them the fuck alone. It's honestly not hard, I'm lazy, so I should know.

@vinjamurisam Hey as another guy I’ll try my best to answer your question but if a woman wants to correct me on an area, please do so. I would say in general unsolicited advice is annoying. I like to play basketball so I’ll use that as my example. If I am shooting free throws by myself and somebody interrupts me just to say that I’m not bending my knees enough, I would find that annoying because I didn’t ask. Who knows the person could have good advice but the whole point is that the advice was unsolicited. It would be different if I did ask for the advice. In that case, what they are saying is constructive, but if I didn’t want advice on my form then I would rather be left alone. Also, the bad form could lead to injury part in my mind doesn’t justify it unless they are endangering their life or someone else’s. Overall, whether you are a male, female, or identify as something else, leave your unsolicited advice to yourself. Again, I am a man so I don’t have a woman’s perspective so any women here please correct me where I may have fallen short.

@vinjamurisam I tell my bf this all the time. There are things that men will simply never understand and a woman’s experience at the gym is for sure one of them. I’ve never once had a woman feel the need to come up to me and correct my form. I have years of experience lifting with former Olympic athletes, I know what I’m doing. Yet, countless men feel the need to interrupt my workout and go on about form or certain ways you should grip the bar and what not. These conversations usually end up in an attempt to get your phone number. It’s completely inappropriate and I think we’ve all just about had it. I would love to see how men would feel if a woman came up to them and corrected their form lol.

@vinjamurisam Thanks for the polite inquiry.

It’s that: my vibe very clearly says “no.” I have a low hat on. Sunglasses. Headphones. Hands up high. I’m in a zone.

There’s no reason for another person to interrupt me while I’m working out - unless there’s a safety issue. In this instance, I’m also in a “one person only COVID workout station” so no one should have been coming through at all.

This guy chose to ignore a) my vibe that says “no” and b) a COVID social distancing thing.

He wanted to mansplain my workout to me. That’s not welcome. I don’t want it. I didn’t ask for it.

Just because he wants my attention doesn’t mean he deserves it.

And mostly, based on my experience, and the thousands of women here who commented - this guy doesn’t want to correct my form, he wants to hit on me.

And I’m sure as fuck not here for that - in the middle of my workout.

And finally, in this particular instance, I’m a strong ass fighter. I’m not a beginner. I know what I’m doing. There is no safety /form issue here. Sure, I have many areas to work on. But, it’s not the right of some random guy to point that out to me.

One more, finally, it is scary as fuck to have strange men approach you. It is terrifying. You have no idea what they want, who they are, how aggressive or pushy they will be. Most men don’t seem to understand this. I live in a huge city. I approach all strangers like they are wild cards until proven otherwise. That’s a survival skill. Having a random man walk up to me doesn’t not feel safe and I’ll do what I need to to keep space between me and him - even if that comes off as somewhat harsh, because my safety is more important than how he feels.

@karin70 That makes a lot of sense. I often forget about the intimidation factor as well. Some guy seemingly on a mission when approaching. That can be stressful. Thanks for sharing. Sucks I'm getting down voted for asking but I'm sure people doubt my sincerity. Fake internet points, amirite?

@karin70 One time I went up to a girl who was at a squat rack to ask her how much longer she’d be using the rack. With her headphones in she said “I’m fine, but thanks anyway” I paid no mind to it and went and asked the person at the next rack.

I’ve only just now realized what happened lol

@karin70 Yes!!!
Had a similar experience today; I was in the gym on the military base where I work, which I usually avoid because every guy in there feels the need to correct me for something/get involved when I work out. Today I was doing seated calf raises with my headphones in and some guy waves at me in this overly dramatic, urgent way just to tell me the weight on the two sides of the machine are uneven, and “don’t you want to fix that?” Thanks dude, I set it up that way because my left leg is weaker and I’m trying to build it, but go on. I did the same as you- made eye contact and just said “No,” and finished my set.

No fake smile, no aggression. Damn, that felt good.