I finally achieved the muscle up at age 38. It’s never too late!

@graciet Nice work brother. You must have been so freaking excited! Two years ago I achieved my first ring muscle up at age 40 and I was walking on clouds for a week LOL. Keep up the good work

@ajmal Thanks fellow dad! I’m definitely feeling pumped. My wife doesn’t fully get just how momentous this is for me so I had to share it here lol.
Congrats to you too and way to represent for us older dudes!

@momto3 It's kind of acknowledged that ring muscle-up is a little easier than bar and I have a friend who can do ring but not bar. The technique is slightly different though...

Anyway I can't do either yet

@susieq8805 These steps were how I finally achieved the muscle-up after lots and lots of failure:
  • Get angry and look at the bar as if you are going to murder it.
  • Start a little bit behind the bar, not directly under it.
  • Jump forward to the bar.
  • Catch with slightly bent arms and activated shoulders.
  • The forward jump will make you swing forward, let this happen.
  • At the furthest point of the swing you explode backwards and:
  • Bring your knees to the bar! This is the magic tip. Not chest to bar, knees to bar.
  • If you have decent dip strength you’ll easily finish the second part of the MU. Getting up there is by far the hardest.
Good luck!

@graciet Great job! I’m a “use anything for weight resistance” but primary dumbbells. I’m in a wheelchair so don’t let age or BS stop you. I dig the 90yo comment! Oh and pre chair 6’2” 235lbs 10%bf in chair 220lbs 10%bf crazy right? (16yrs military helped). Once you get that muscle tone / memory it sticks with you. You’ll love it when they have to wrap BP cuffs around your forearms because your biceps are too big. I will admit though I’m on permanent hormones (test.) since I’m a spinal cord injury. (It finally took 5 rounds on an exfil; paralyzed me instantly). Regardless stick with it you won’t regret it! Nothing better than hitting the big 50 and looking better than most men in their 20’s! Using rings takes a lot more skill than a bar too! Again great job!