I finally achieved the muscle up at age 38. It’s never too late!

@cr0cus Thanks! I took a video of my 3rd one but it wasn’t very clean. So I’m going to keep working on it and post a video then. Stay tuned!

@graciet Thanks! I hate you!

No I just hate myself ... :'-(

Cheers and congrats again, your dedication is the thing to be admired. Have a good one! z

@cr0cus Lol I know how you feel! I was always so jealous of people that got the MU. But I turned that seething envy into motivation! Keep working it and definitely try an assistance band.

@cr0cus These steps were how I finally achieved the muscle-up after lots and lots of failure:
  • Get angry and look at the bar as if you are going to murder it.
  • Start a little bit behind the bar, not directly under it.
  • Jump forward to the bar.
  • Catch with slightly bent arms and activated shoulders.
  • The forward jump will make you swing forward, let this happen.
  • At the furthest point of the swing you explode backwards and:
  • Bring your knees to the bar! This is the magic tip. Not chest to bar, knees to bar.
  • If you have decent dip strength you’ll easily finish the second part of the MU. Getting up there is by far the hardest.
Good luck!

@adanna I didn’t even start to workout until I was pushing 37. When I started I could do maybe 2 pull-ups? And I only weighed 145lbs then lol.
You got this man!

@sleepy321 Thanks and I hope you reach your goal! I’m actually in the best shape of my life at 38. I see a lot of posts from teenagers and guys in their 20s on this sub so I wanted to call out that us “older” guys can still get it!

@sleepy321 I agree man. I’ve been working out for 15 years. Now 36 and to be honest, the only thing that’s different is recovery time. It takes a little longer sometimes. Also, at age 40 you can easily have the exact same physique as 25.
Usually it’s also the change of lifestyle…. Work (especially office work), kids, stuff like that.