I learned to Muscle-UP in 18days and I share what I have learned

fadzi

Hey guys! After working on it for 18 days, I just did my first ever muscle up.

My result is pretty good (the link to the video is attached below), but I think that you can get a better result for the same time, if you will not repeat my mistakes and will follow my right actions. I was pretty good with pull ups, I was able to do 11 pull-ups, and I expected that I will be able to do altleast 1 muscle up after 10 days of training. Unfortunatly fora first muscle up I needed 18 days and I needed 34 days for 2 good muscle ups in a row !

I had a goal with a 10 days deadline in my head.I put some pressure on my self and I stayed consistent and focused and try to train everyday! I watched a lot videos, but every time when I was re-watching during my training days I found something new and helpful.

I tracked my progress on the video, that was a right decision and helped me to find me my mistake. My grip was not wide enough. As soon as I fixed it, I felt progress. At this moment it gave me an idea to make a video with my tracking way to muscle up. It helped me and I really think it will help you! I was focused on my regularity of training. Each workout I tried to do as many sets as my shoulder joints were able to do. I always allowed myself to relax a few minutes between sets, but anyway usually I was working out over pain. I tried to train every day, but I was getting better progress when I spend 1-2 days to restore for my muscle and shoulder joints.

After 7 days of training I was able to do a chicken wing muscle-ups. It was difficult and looked bad, it was really painful for my shoulder joints, but defently it was a progress. I started to swing more, do slow negative muscle ups and try to do muscle ups with a jump. It also helped and after 10 days more of training and pain I was able to do a muscle up. Corn pain was awful! Finger patches made it a bit easy for me! pain affects progress! Training gloves can help you! Negative muscle ups help a lot to. Try to do negative transition part as slow as posssible. Swinging before a muscle up. It will help you a lot. When your muscle memory will understand what to do and body will be enought strong, you will be able to start to do muscle ups without swinging.

I was working hard on it but something helped me more:
  • - wide grip
  • - slow negative muscle ups
  • - swinging
  • - explosive pull ups
  • - 1-2 days for rest and recover after a training day
I was happy. It is so good to feel a progress. Worth it! I felt that the muscle up was perfect, but I watched a video and I saw that a left (weak) hand had a slight delay. I thought that the next days will be easy and I will do a perfect muscle up in 3 days, but that was a mistake. Next days I wasn't able to repeat a muscle up. I continued to practice, I was feeling that my body was becoming stronger and I knew that the day is comming. I took few days to relax to my body and in 34 days from beggining I did two perfect muscle ups in a row. After that I was able to do a muscle up at any time. My muscle memory just has it! I was still swinging before a muscle up, but not too much already and I felt that soon I will be able to Muscle ups with out swinging.

My history of results:
  • Day 1: 11 pull ups
  • Day 7: First "chicken wing" Muscle UP
  • Day 18: First muscle up with a little in 1 hand
  • Day 34: Two muscle UPs in a row
  • Day 37: 16 pull ups
I tried overdo myself, but practice showed me that it is a bad idea. That is only way to finally do a muscle up: Practice, rest, practice, rest, and again..

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps for those that are still learning.

Just keep practice and give the muscles time to recover and rest and sooner or later you will be able to muscle up. If I.. a skinny guy did it, anyone can do it :D

And here is my video with my way to first muscle up: https://youtu.be/5lgPwhgfs_Q