10 Things I've learned in my almost 20 years of bodybuilding

@jannieb Thanks for the great write, it’s refreshing to have someone be so honest and genuine about their journey.

Second, good luck with the thyroid cancer journey, my Dad also has thyroid cancer and had his thyroid removed around 2013-2014.

@jannieb Thanks for the write up, it was interesting to read it. Quick questions:
- after so many years of training and assuming you are not in your early 20s, you might have reached a certain genetic limit.
- Based on your experience how much muscle can you still add per year to your body? Is it still possible at all all?
- out of curiosity, do you think you could have accomplished this body of yours with less training sessions or time in the gym? Let’s say with 50% of what you put in?
Finally what is your current split and why?

Thanks!

@yakamoz
  • Thanks for the write up, it was interesting to read it. Quick questions:
  • after so many years of training and assuming you are not in your early 20s, you might have reached a certain genetic limit.
Probably yes, lol
  • Based on your experience how much muscle can you still add per year to your body? Is it still possible at all all?
Scientifically speaking, I think the general consensus is that when you are an advanced lifter you can probably add 0.5% of your bodyweight as muscle a month. Its not much but I think that sounds about right. What I think does happen though is you start to change the shape and density of the muscle.... Your diet gets better and you start to learn your body better so you end up looking better, bigger, harder, etc.

Me at 195 lbs and 12% bf now looks much better than me at 195 lbs at 12% bf 15 years ago! Does that make sense?
  • out of curiosity, do you think you could have accomplished this body of yours with less training sessions or time in the gym? Let’s say with 50% of what you put in?
Honestly, no I don't think so. I think the results I have now are all because of the quantity, quality, and time I've put in the gym. I'm also a big volume guy, and in the past my work out sessions (weights alone... not counting cardio) were like 2-3 hours... Now, I do an hour and a half of weight training and I wish I could do more but... Life...lol. If I had cut it down to 50% I think I'd be smaller. Maybe not 50% smaller lol, but certainly not like I am now.
  • Finally what is your current split and why?
Split is a fairly basic bro split like this...

Sunday: Legs

Monday: Off

Tuesday: Chest

Wednesday: Back

Thursday: Shoulders

Friday: Arms

Saturday: Off, but I still do cardio and abs like all the other days

Cardio everyday except Monday and I do 30 mins High Intensity Interval Training on the elliptical.
Abs everyday except Monday

Weights are usually 3-4 exercises per bodypart, 6-7 sets per exercise, rep ranges from 30 to 6
  • Thanks!
Edit: formatting!

@jannieb
Another example for you, in 2014 I had Thyroid cancer, and I had to have surgery to get it removed, my first question to the doctor as I was coming out of anesthesia... When can I start lifting again?

I'm sorry, but that's actually hilarious.

@jannieb It sounds like you're saying "Don't overthink things when starting out. Just get in, lift, put in the work, stay consistent and improve your training strategies over time as you advance" right?

because I think some are taking your post to be "Just lift. Ignore good training methods and training structure no matter if you're beginner or intermediate etc" but I see it as "Don't get caught up in the details when you haven't even been consistently training yet, you can save that for later."

@dawn16 I'm definitely not saying to ignore good training methods and structure... what I'm saying is, don't overcomplicate and overthink things and don't sweat every single little detail.. This applies to beginners but also to advanced lifters.

And trust me you realize this as you become more advanced, you look back and think - I really did stress about this one item too much.

But no, I'm not saying to ignore - definitely focus on structure and habit and organizing your training, nutrition, and lifestyle .... but cut yourself some slack from time to time. That's all :-D

@jannieb solid advice then. I think the same thing about nutrition. too many people stress out over simple things. a snickers bar isn't going to break you and if it is then your diet was shit in the first place lol.

@jannieb hey man amazing post I'm currently 19 and im in good shape I'm currently bulking but ever since last week whenever I eat my meals, every one is a struggle sometimes I forcefeed at the end then feel really lethargic and wanting to get sick which I did once I never remember it being this hard, I used to enjoy my meals. any help would be much appreciated I Will definitely be coming back to your post and rereading it